• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chassis number identification?

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hey!

I'm wondering if there is a way to identifying a car's engine size and axles from the chassis number? The reason for asking this is the problem I have found serching for parts across the borders here in europe. They simply don't know what axle, engine size, transmission etc. the vehicle has. I find this troublesome, and wonders if I can find out witch axle, trans etc the car came with from the factory.

Thanks for all input!

Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

The eighth digit is the engine code. I don't think you can tell which trans you have from the VIN but your axles should have a tag on them with the gear ratio on it.

I live in the US, but called my local dealer with the vin number and they gave me a print out of all the vehicle details for my '96.

Engine, transmission, transfercase, differentials, seats, color, ... to many items to list.

Within the past week or two someone posted a web site address where you can enter the VIN number and obtain a report showing all equipment on a Jeep when it left the factory.

I did a search for vin and I think I found it.

--------------------
quote:

It's easier than you think. Go to www.jeep.com, contact us, customer assistance page. Tell them the VIN of your jeep and you'd like to know what came on it at the time of purchase from the factory. I've done this for both my '89 YJ and '96 XJ. They will email you a comprehensive list about the vehicle, including gear ratios, transmission models, extra packages, etc. They have great customer service - which just makes you want to go out and buy another jeep :).

----------------------

But th llink needs to be this:

www.jeep.com

That's what I was looking for.

Problem is I don't live in the US, so I can't fill in the form the right way, I tried, but could not find a way to trick the form. I tried to find a zip code and a phone number, but it was alot harder than I tought. Will try again tonight..

Thanks!
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

Back