PDA

View Full Version : Up Country Spring Replacements: Coils, Crown vs Moog...Leaf, Crown vs General Spring

fetishfrog
October 2nd, 2017, 13:56
Hey everyone.

I am looking to replace my 20 year old springs on my 1997 XJ Sport

Does anyone have thoughts on replacements for durability and ride?

Coils: Crown vs Moog
Leaf: Crown vs General Spring of KC

I have a Detour Tailbone mounted carrying a stock tire (which will be a 235 soon enough) so leaf spring longevity is a must.

Thanks

Tim_MN
October 2nd, 2017, 15:22
Have you measured the coils, they typically do not sag. If required buy Moog Coils. Crown HD leaf springs are one of the few Crown Automotive parts that have a good reputation. They are most likely a decent quality product from another manufacture that is re-branded as a Crown part.

fetishfrog
October 2nd, 2017, 15:34
I am on stock springs now, so the extra inch of lift is desired and I do not want to go higher.

Thx for the feedback on crown

Jeep Driver
October 2nd, 2017, 15:40
OME and GS.

Crown is OK

Moog sucks ass.

Green XJ Jeep
October 2nd, 2017, 19:37
OME 2930 coils and cso33rb springs aren't that much more and they will last a whole lot longer

paroxysym
October 3rd, 2017, 05:20
ive heard carquest coils are good, you could go V8 ZJ springs as an alternative to upcountry springs correct?

fetishfrog
October 3rd, 2017, 09:14
Everything I've seen about carquest coils is they are made by moog.

As far as V8 ZJ, I could, but all the reading I've done on it gives different lift heights depending on the Jeep. I'd like to try, at least as much as possible, to stick to something somewhat predictable re: lift height. Moog 782 and Crown HD always seem to report 1-1.5" at the most.

Tim_MN
October 3rd, 2017, 16:13
Did I miss a multi page thread posted to by people who actually know what they are talking about that detailed why Moog coils suck ?

Jeep Driver
October 3rd, 2017, 18:14
Did I miss a multi page thread posted to by people who actually know what they are talking about that detailed why Moog coils suck ?

Moog on the XJ and OME on the MJ.

I made the mistake of going cheap on the XJ, I knew better.

Moog sucks.

And I do not need your permission or multi-page consensus of group-think to allow me to state my opinion. And I do know what I'm talking about.

Again, their springs suck, their rod ends suck, TBs suck, bushings suck, everything about Moog sucks.

Moog sucks!

burntkat
October 4th, 2017, 07:37
Well, your *opinion* seems well at odds with my experience and the experience of every professional, certified wrench I know.

Jeep Driver
October 4th, 2017, 15:07
Well, your *opinion* seems well at odds with my experience and the experience of every professional, certified wrench I know.

My opinion based on my experience is in good company.

Here, I'll do all the work for you..........link after link after link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moog+suspension+sucks&oq=moog+suspension+sucks&aqs=chrome..69i57.12517j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Green XJ Jeep
October 4th, 2017, 18:08
My opinion based on my experience is in good company.

Here, I'll do all the work for you..........link after link after link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moog+suspension+sucks&oq=moog+suspension+sucks&aqs=chrome..69i57.12517j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Right back at ya,
https://www.google.com/search?ei=I3fVWYG8LM3CjwPU2bO4Dg&q=is+moog+suspension+good&oq=moog+suspension+g&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.2.35i39k1j0i22i30k1l4.15022.15909.0.18698.5 .5.0.0.0.0.130.501.0j4.4.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-serp..1.4.501....154.qt_dEG8MBz0

Everyone has differing opinions, what works for you may not work for everyone and vice versa