PDA

View Full Version : xj from hell

csanderlin
September 25th, 2017, 07:26
so my cousin got a xj as her first car. well i desided to help her out and do little things make it safe and a 3 in lift for her birthday. well this where i messed up

i a accel tune up kit new wires plugs cap button. well after install now it is running more rough and missing then it was before. all plugs gapped to .035 and all wires in correct place. here link to what i got
https://www.amazon.com/ACCEL-TST16-Ignition-Tune-Kit/dp/B000QJNA7A

but also did brake job and bearing all way around . she had a shitty brakes before but now it like no brake at all bleed all brakes and new fluid . still no difference. and rear bearing sounds like shit it is filled with new 80-90 fluid. i dont understand done all this hundred times and never had this problem before

xCWolf
September 25th, 2017, 07:37
I had an issue once with the XJ I've never had before where I bumped the spark plug on the side of the wall going into the block and bent the plug to .000 gap didn't notice until I started it. Worth looking into. Not sure what to tell you about the brakes though. Bad calipers? Hook up all the springs and everything correctly for the drums?

Also what's the year/engine and Auto/Manual?

RCP Phx
September 25th, 2017, 09:06
I can also tell you that a 4.0 is very picky about spark plugs!
Did you get the firing order straight when you changed the wires?

csanderlin
September 25th, 2017, 09:16
yes i triple checked they were accell plugs highend shit

csanderlin
September 25th, 2017, 09:17
98 4.0 auto

Heavyopp
September 25th, 2017, 09:45
yes i triple checked they were accell plugs highend shit

Get rid of these and try NGK ZFR5N

Green Mesa XJ
September 25th, 2017, 10:10
Plug wires are easy for experienced mechanics to mix up too. Probably worth double checking.

The rear brakes on the XJ have to be adjusted so the shoes make contact with the drum easily. I adjust them to the point the drum slides on with a little tension, but spin freely.

If itís not the adjustment double check the springs and hardware are correct. Rear slave cylinders can go out too.

Bearing sound, do mean wheel bearing or a noise from inside the pumpkin of the axel?
Wheel bearing possible bad or wrong new one. If itís Where the gears of the axel are possibly itís starting to go bad. Swap is much easier than trying to find somebody to rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burntkat
September 25th, 2017, 10:24
I had an issue once with the XJ I've never had before where I bumped the spark plug on the side of the wall going into the block and bent the plug to .000 gap didn't notice until I started it. Worth looking into. Not sure what to tell you about the brakes though. Bad calipers? Hook up all the springs and everything correctly for the drums?

Also what's the year/engine and Auto/Manual?

What size sledgehammer were you using to install the plugs?

lawsoncl
September 27th, 2017, 17:44
https://www.amazon.com/ACCEL-TST16-Ignition-Tune-Kit/dp/B000QJNA7A

9% of the reviews claimed they were the wrong plugs, including someone with a 98 XJ. I've also had bad wires and cap/rotor new out of the box too.

ehall
September 27th, 2017, 18:45
I have used the Accel plugs before with no problem. Copper core, nothing fancy. Did you use dielectric grease on the plug boot? It is non-conductive and will kill the spark power.

Brakes you have air in the line. Did you run the MC dry? If so you will have to bench bleed the MC and the distribution block too. Do you get drip drip from the lines? You should.

burntkat
September 27th, 2017, 19:58
I've never had a problem with using dielectric grease in plug boots.

ehall
September 27th, 2017, 20:39
Well I have so

cruiser54
September 28th, 2017, 06:41
Remove the plugs and inspect them before doing anything else.

Green XJ Jeep
September 28th, 2017, 07:33
I've never had a problem with using dielectric grease in plug boots.

If someone uses to much instead of small amount on the boot it can cause issues.

cruiser54
September 28th, 2017, 07:35
If someone uses to much instead of small amount on the boot it can cause issues.

They barely give you enough in the spark plug wire kit.

How could you overdo it?

Green XJ Jeep
September 28th, 2017, 08:02
They barely give you enough in the spark plug wire kit.

How could you overdo it?

Dont know and i usually throw those little packets away. I buy di electric grease and ox guard in giant size.
I usually coat the ceramic with it before i install the plug. Helps with getting the socket off and still lubes the boot.

cruiser54
September 28th, 2017, 08:22
Exactly.

How could someone use too much, right?

ehall
September 28th, 2017, 08:32
Shit happens? The plug makes contact with the wire on a small surface area. Put a load of non-conductive grease on the boot and push it up with the plug, now you have less surface area.

tn_outside2003
September 29th, 2017, 15:54
(Edited to reflect NGK comment, because he is correct) The Jeep 4.0 calls for cheapo, CHAMPION/NGK brand, basic plugs. This is one of those points that I will argue with you on. The 4.0 is a simple engine. It was DESIGNED with the Champion plug. The FSM calls for Champion/NGK for replacements. The dealerships will put Champion/NGK plugs in it. Jeeps like JEEP brand sensors. It is not optional. You have to purchase MOPAR. And 4.0's were designed to run with the cheapest, most basic, champion/NGK plug.

It is my opinion that stories of increased performance/running/horsepower/spark/fuel mileage after swapping for an "upgraded" plug are more related to removing old, worn out and/or fouled plugs and putting ANY new plug in rather than some performance increase from some fancy, schmancy, new-fangled tri-point titanium copper bidirectional nano plug, or whatever.

I have never heard of a 4.0 running poorly using the factory recommended Champion/NGK plug. If it does, something else is likely wrong with the engine or fuel system.

This is just one of those things that I feel strongly about and have experience in.

I'm just some guy with a jeep and I could be wrong.

cruiser54
September 29th, 2017, 15:57
The ZFR5N NGK was specified for the 2000 and 2001 with the waste spark system.

I use it in all my Jeeps. Renix, Ho and so on.

That said, I have proven on a dyno that some of the gimmicky plugs are junk.

tn_outside2003
September 29th, 2017, 16:00
IMHO: The whole dielectric grease thing is over-rated, unless you are trying to waterproof your connections. Packing the crap out of electrical connections with dielectric grease is great for vehicles that are going to go under water. But I don't use dielectric grease at any point in my ignition system. Never have. Just don't see a need. If the components are good, just plug them together. They were not designed to be packed full of grease. They do not ship from the factory full of grease. I am not saying it will cause any problems, but it is messy and an extra step, and does nothing to improve performance or reliability if your components are good. It is only my opinion, but unless you have some specific reason to use dielectric grease (corrosion, water, whatever), you shouldn't use it.

I'm just some guy with a jeep. I could be wrong.

cruiser54
September 29th, 2017, 16:19
Primary purpose for me is that I can pull a boot much later down the road and it comes off easily. It also makes it easier to seat the wire on the plug.

Some folks I guess could get too much in a boot...

But those people can generally bend a digging bar in a sand pile also.