• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is anyone running an ammeter on their rig? (electrical wizards please help!)

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
I went down a bit of a google/amazon rabbit hole last night looking for a way to monitor my alternators performance in real time.

What started all of this is I don't trust the volt meter in my gauge cluster. Every other gauge seems to have a significant but consistent "fudge factor." The coolant temp gauge reads pretty consistently 10ºF hot. and the oil pressure is about 17psi high. So while keeping an eye on the volt meter during DD duties, if I have all the lights off and not running the HVAC or wipers, I get a nice strong 14vdc displayed. If I switch on the A/C even with the fan on low, the gauge displays down around 11.5vdc sometimes even less. Add in the wipers and headlights and we're down to 10vdc or even less. I don't notice the headlights getting browned out, or hear the blower motor changing tone, but low numbers like that on the volts gauge concerns me. I just put a super pricey Odyssey battery in the rig and id hate to shorten it's life by abusing it.

When I test the system with a multimeter the numbers are better but still not where I'd like them to be. I plan on installing a high amp winding and re building the alternator, I have no interest in hit-or-miss parts store alternators, I'd rather do the rebuild myself where I control the quality of the parts being used.

In my experience an ammeter is the best way to monitor the alternators performance. I'm not keen on the way a traditional ammeter is connected. I don't want that heavy wire run up into the dash. So I started looking at the high current shunt, digital options. There seems to be nearly endless options for setting up an ammeter and all of my searching ended up bringing more questions than it answered.

Most of the ones that I saw online are intended for solar arrays. In theory they should work fine for everything I could throw at them except for the big hit of the starter. All of the pre made shunt models I saw look to have a 100A limit I'm not sure what the draw is for the starter but I'm pretty sure it will exceed that 100A limit. I may be wrong but I don't think you can bypass the shunt for the high amp draw of the starter without bypassing the measured voltage drop across the shunt and rendering it useless.

I have a pretty good understanding of the theories involved with this, and maybe I'm totally over thinking this. I'm hoping theres an electrical guru on the forum that might be able to connect the last few dots for me, or at least shed a little more light on the situation.

Some of the solutions that have come to mind are:

Set up a second starter solenoid on the ground side that bypasses the shunt under cranking conditions. (downside - added complexity)

Making my own shunt from 2ga wire that could handle the load (downside - having to re arrange grounds so that all current flows through the shunted part of the ground cable.)

Just say "screw it" and throw a totally overkill power master alternator at it (downside - those alternators are crazy money and I have to do all kinds of work to make it fit)

Any valuable input is greatly appreciated!

Dashboard gauges are indicators, not calibrated and certified measurement devices. The gauges indicate that the functions being monitored are about what they need to be, and are about what they were the last time you looked the gauges, or they indicate that there is a problem. Any alternator voltage from about 13.8 volts to about 14.8 volts is adequate.

Poor connections increase resistance and causes a voltage drop across the connection. You should be testing for voltage drop and excessive resistance in the positive cables and in the ground connections. Any good quality battery has plenty of reserve capacity to meet the vehicles needs if the power draw exceeds the power generated for even moderate periods of time. Plenty of Jeepers have a winch, and also have a stock alternator and a stock battery.

IMO an ammeter is not required, and all of the modifications proposed are needless complexity and expense. What you really need is a fresh alternator, some upgraded primary charging system cables, and some upgraded battery to power distribution center primary cables.

Last edited:
Shunts are available in any current range and most can measure voltage and current at the same time. I've got one on both my tow trucks.

I went down a bit of a google/amazon rabbit hole last night looking for a way to monitor my alternators performance in real time.

What started all of this is I don't trust the volt meter in my gauge cluster. Every other gauge seems to have a significant but consistent "fudge factor." The coolant temp gauge reads pretty consistently 10ºF hot. and the oil pressure is about 17psi high. So while keeping an eye on the volt meter during DD duties, if I have all the lights off and not running the HVAC or wipers, I get a nice strong 14vdc displayed. If I switch on the A/C even with the fan on low, the gauge displays down around 11.5vdc sometimes even less. Add in the wipers and headlights and we're down to 10vdc or even less. I don't notice the headlights getting browned out, or hear the blower motor changing tone, but low numbers like that on the volts gauge concerns me. I just put a super pricey Odyssey battery in the rig and id hate to shorten it's life by abusing it.

When I test the system with a multimeter the numbers are better but still not where I'd like them to be. I plan on installing a high amp winding and re building the alternator, I have no interest in hit-or-miss parts store alternators, I'd rather do the rebuild myself where I control the quality of the parts being used.

In my experience an ammeter is the best way to monitor the alternators performance. I'm not keen on the way a traditional ammeter is connected. I don't want that heavy wire run up into the dash. So I started looking at the high current shunt, digital options. There seems to be nearly endless options for setting up an ammeter and all of my searching ended up bringing more questions than it answered.

Most of the ones that I saw online are intended for solar arrays. In theory they should work fine for everything I could throw at them except for the big hit of the starter. All of the pre made shunt models I saw look to have a 100A limit I'm not sure what the draw is for the starter but I'm pretty sure it will exceed that 100A limit. I may be wrong but I don't think you can bypass the shunt for the high amp draw of the starter without bypassing the measured voltage drop across the shunt and rendering it useless.

I have a pretty good understanding of the theories involved with this, and maybe I'm totally over thinking this. I'm hoping theres an electrical guru on the forum that might be able to connect the last few dots for me, or at least shed a little more light on the situation.

Set up a second starter solenoid on the ground side that bypasses the shunt under cranking conditions. (downside - added complexity)

Making my own shunt from 2ga wire that could handle the load (downside - having to re arrange grounds so that all current flows through the shunted part of the ground cable.)

Just say "screw it" and throw a totally overkill power master alternator at it (downside - those alternators are crazy money and I have to do all kinds of work to make it fit)

From my years of being a marine mechanic, the wire from the battery to the starter do not pass through the AMP meter/shunt. Starters usually require a large gauge wire that is most cases would be too big to hang on a shunt. None the less, the negative draw when the starter is engaged are usually displayed accurately on the amp meter via the shunt.

On the other hand, I have no idea as to the rating of the shunt/s installed buy the boat manufacturer or rigger.

According to the 1996 manual, the 4.0L amp draw should be 160 with the ASD relay removed. I guess that is assuming everything is in good working condition.

I'd use the meter just on the output of the alt. That will show charging current. It won't show the little loads but will tell you how much current the alt is putting out at a given load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd use the meter just on the output of the alt. That will show charging current. It won't show the little loads but will tell you how much current the alt is putting out at a given load.
What you are really interested in is if the alternator is producing adequate power.
Tim MN had it right saying the voltage was a good indication if the charging system is operating.
If the voltage is over 13 volts, the alternator is producing power. Sure an ammeter would be nice but it's not as useful as the voltmeter.
BTW, part of my travel tool kit is an inexpensive clamp on-style digital volt/ampmeter.
When in doubt, check it out.

I put a digital volt gauge for a motorcycle. Works great and i always know my actual voltage. Try adding another ground to yours instrument panel if all your gauges are off.

Thanks guys! I'm gonna try one of the ammeter kits with the shunt on the ALT output. I like all the info I can get and I have the perfect spot to mount the readout. Also definitely gonna add that extra ground to the cluster. I also ordered stuff to make all new battery cables (2ga) and for a new ALT output cable(4ga) with a circuit breaker instead of the fusible link. Mine isn't burnt but it doesn't look healthy either. All of these things needed to be done anyway. If they don't wake things up then I'll start looking at alternators.

Dashboard gauges are indicators, not calibrated and certified measurement devices. The gauges indicate that the functions being monitored are about what they need to be, and are about what they were the last time you looked the gauges, or they indicate that there is a problem. Any alternator voltage from about 13.8 volts to about 14.8 volts is adequate.

Poor connections increase resistance and causes a voltage drop across the connection. You should be testing for voltage drop and excessive resistance in the positive cables and in the ground connections. Any good quality battery has plenty of reserve capacity to meet the vehicles needs if the power draw exceeds the power generated for even moderate periods of time. Plenty of Jeepers have a winch, and also have a stock alternator and a stock battery.

IMO an ammeter is not required, and all of the modifications proposed are needless complexity and expense. What you really need is a fresh alternator, some upgraded primary charging system cables, and some upgraded battery to power distribution center primary cables.

This! A high amp DC amp clamp on a multimeter should be all you need if you are curious. Understand how your gauges are working, and fix what's wrong. A Jeep is not a spaceship.

Concur.

He needs to upgrade the "Big Three" grounds first.. batt to body, batt to engine, engine to body. I like to use 4GA or better, and usually use welding cable.

This! A high amp DC amp clamp on a multimeter should be all you need if you are curious. Understand how your gauges are working, and fix what's wrong. A Jeep is not a spaceship.

This!
Nor is it a nuclear submarine. Gauges and geegaws are cute, but imminently about as useful as putting a pressure gauge on a CO2 tank.

Back