• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wallowed out holes axle side track bar

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

I'm changing out my axles and I noticed the axle I'm putting in has fairly wallowed out holes on the axle side. Both the front and back holes. I am not aware of any way to repair the back side hole short cutting the mount off and welding one back on.

Since I have a lifted Jeep with an adjustable track bar, I am thinking of drilling a new set of holes and adjusting the track bar for the new hole location.

Anyone see any problems with this solution?

I figure on drilling a new hole about 3/4" to the right. I believe the factory hole is a 7/16" should I deviate from that? I have Fractional in 1/64th increments.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Its elongated down and to the right. It's longer than wider. Looks longer than 1/2" to me but I haven't measured. And then I think I'd have to deal with reaming out the bushing inner sleeve?

Idk what you have, but I drilled out my craptastic Rusty's track bar to 1/2". Wasn't too hard, no problems since.

The front hole is .58" long and .48" wide. JKS trackball which uses the familiar MOOG style double sleeved "mostly metal" bushing.

Last edited:
Re-drilling a hole where you (I think) are mentioning to drill it, is very common with the people that are lifting a TJ only a short amount and too cheap to pony up the $$ for a new adjustable track bar.

I havent seen any XJ's with this method yet, but since they are in essence the same front axle housing bracketry and design, in theory it should be perfectly fine to do, as long as the axle can be centered after relocating the axle side mount, with the adjust-ability in the track bar.

This has got to be the simplest way to fix the problem for good, assuming the hole has not wallowed out more than a 9/16".
My 2001 XJ track bar was loose when I bought it and the hole was slightly wallowed.
I have been running a Kevin's track bar and bracket for about 12 years, it came with 1/2" bolts that required drilling the axle-end bracket.
It eliminated the wallow problem and has never loosened since..
The 9/16" bolt kit should cure most wallowing issues.

Back