• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FSJ wag axles in a 01 xj work?

rockosocko

NAXJA Forum User
Over the decades I've 'acquired' a wide array of parts and did a trade for some
'79 (?) dana 44's. But they're in 2.93's (?):mad:
And a set of W/T J-10 Dana 44's with 3.54's.
Is there anyone that sells the weldable brackets that can convert either of these axles in a 01 XJ Cherokee?
If I can remember, I think they're both D/S drop.

He just turned 18 and we just put in a motor that I rebuilt a while back..
(It's a basic auto 4x4 sport also) Just starting in doing a little trailing, but mostly slinging mud around out in fields.. (because he doesn't have the money for mudders)
His cherokee is pretty high miles, around 350K and hearing the roaring from the front. So its' getting time to change since fully rebuilding is out of his price range and ability right now.

I can blast the Dana's and cut them free of brackets and such to get them all cleaned up. But was just wondering if anyone sells NEW brackets.
I can re-use the old stuff, but would rather them be the correct length etc.

Thanks
E

This might work: https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_parts/wagoneer_d44_front_axle_truss_80_pres_tnt_customs

Another idea to consider is converting the XJ front to leaf springs.

UPLOADS517.jpg

Last edited:
As said above you will need to weld on new brackets to get it to work with your suspension.

I used the TNT truss on my front ford 44 and am a big fan of them. They cost a little more but you literally sit it on measure and burn it in. It makes the job much easier

If they are driver drop, it should be 1980 or newer. I also went with a tnt truss. It makes it very easy. It made me feel a lot better about the uca mounts, as I was weary of welding to cast iron for the driver side. I think the j10 axles are wider, aren't they? Mine (and most I see) are from the "narrow track" fsj's which are almost exactly xj width.

The idea is good just think about wheel bolt pattern. I would probably 3link the front and keep the could. Leaf fronts work but coils are better. I would take coils any day over leads! Good luck

THANKS tons guys..

BUT, someone somewhere gave him an enema and brain washed him..
He got it in his little mind that it's ALL FREE, just because the "Parts are just sitting out back"
AAhhh, To be 18 again.. (..at least he respects who WON THE VOTE and respects the Constitution!!) He's a pretty good kid. Good grades too, so I can't complain that much.

Anywho, Thanks for the link and I'll do some research and be asking more questions along the way. It's NOT like I'm jumping in and starting this mod next week..

Do you have any info or links on a 3-Point front? (might be a bit too much right now.)

Oh, and the gears are 2.72!! Maybe a 4 or 6bt?

Errol

Last edited:
If your looking for a pretty easy swap to bigger axles without a whole bunch of work, try and find a set of 76-77 f150 axles. They are a dana 44 front and 9" rear. These are what are going into my jeep currently. Just modify the factory ford radius arms and they go in pretty easily. Just something else to consider.

Thank you for that. ..but I just can't seem to use anything ford. No offense, and don't want to start an argument, but it's just that growing up on our farm I had NOTHING BUT TROUBLE from the blue oval. Just one 4cyl tractor (9n?) that ran and ran without issues..
Wish I could have all that mtc money back, it would pay for my kids college.

Maybe I could since it's actually made by Dana. lol
I also have a New Holland tractor/loader since it's made in Belgium (gotta take that ferd sticker off though)

If it gets sticky and can't find anything, I'll see if that's what he wants to do.

Thanks again.
E

Have you checked to make sure it's not just a wheel bearing making the noise? They can be noisy with no play in them. If you're mechanically inclined, just doing bearings on a diff is not that hard

I put an 80's waggy front D44 in my cherokee about a year to year and a half ago. I trimmed off half the cast in spring perch on the pumpkin and welded on new short arm brackets with a truss of my own design. I raised the mounts a few inches so it would improve the short arm angles and improve ground clearance. I installed new gears, new hubs, and a spool in combination with hydro assist and love it. Ill have to search for previous posts with pics I threw up here showing what I did.

here is one of my posts with a few pics
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1117931&highlight=waggy+d44+cut
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back