• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best place to get a NEW motor?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking ahead for my early year 96 that's nearing 200k.
I'd like a new 4.0 or maybe 4.2 long block plug n play. No V's just inline.
Any reliable options under 3000?
Over?
Links?

Thanks a ton guys! I'm life committed to my XJ and want to start saving for a new heart for her so when she needs it it's waiting in the garage.

Russ P

Russ is the go-to guy and then there's ATK and Jasper remanufactures, but the whole appeal of the 4.0 is that the engine will run far beyond 200k with even the most basic maintenance. I have a 1988 nearly at 200k and frankly I'm more worried about getting bored and upgrading to something newer than I am worried about the engine failing. By the time yours actually dies, I am willing to bet that you'll have different life priorities or the links/names we post today will be out of business!

Other than standard maintenance, my 91' has 346,000 miles and still whisper quiet. Just keep the maintenance up and the engine should last for ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a search for Russ Pottenger and you'll find links to his motor and stroker builds.

Someone who builds awesome strokers and can sell u a build it ur self kit as well. Great quality parts and super on the service level. Look him up for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've got about 150k miles on my atk stock rebuild, absolutely runs great still, no smoke either but it does leak at the rear main. I'd recommend them if you don't have a reputable builder that's local. Your in Portland, why not check out Grumpys a little south or over to Nutter or Somers In Vancouver. Bearing service is supposed to be top notch too, work with a guy that used to work there years ago. There's also PER but that's hit and miss. Stay away from central cylinder head, there are a joke.

Mike Lewis at Lewis Race Engines is who I will be using when I build my SBC, I'm sure he could do an excellent job on a 4.0 or any iteration of it. He is in northern California though.

Back