• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Radiator Replacement Suggestion

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 4.0L
Daily driver

Need to replace radiator. Dont want to break the bank but don''t want to buy another piece of crap. Seems like all the info i find is for offroad rigs

You guys recommend a good radiator for a daily driver maybe with a slight upgrade but without going broke.

Ohio weather.

Thanks

2000 XJ 4.0L
Daily driver

Need to replace radiator. Dont want to break the bank but don''t want to buy another piece of crap. Seems like all the info i find is for offroad rigs

You guys recommend a good radiator for a daily driver maybe with a slight upgrade but without going broke.

Ohio weather.

Thanks

Bought this a couple of years ago to replace what I'm pretty sure was the original radiator.

CARQUEST Radiator Part No. 432335

No issues on the install, and I'm running pretty cool out here in the LV summers.

Make sure you use one of the online coupon codes for 15%/20%/30% off if you order for pick-up in a store.

I just use the Spectras from Auto Zone. It's like batteries. They always seem to fail at inopportune times and Auto Zone is always usually around the corner and open both early and late. They cost about $100. The next step up is the Mopar Performance radiator which costs around $200-240. Auto Zone and Advance both print receipts on thermal paper, but Auto Zone has a central database of what you bought so its warrantied iwht a phone number if it fails. Advance is per store and they purge at 2 years (at last check). So with AZ, you don't even need a paper receipt, that's probably faded blank if you left it in your glove box, just a phone number...

Auto Zone ones work fine. Not sure if it will last 10 years like the factory ones do but they certainly work properly. Just be careful when disconnecting the transmission fluid hose (end of copper pipe coming out of the radiator likes to break off in hose.)

ok thanks.
i guess i was just checking if the AZ/napa/etc. ones hold up ok.
didnt know if there was some mid-range rads that really made a difference?

Have had Carquest rad for 4+ years now. Zero issues

I have tried several different radiators through the years and the best so far is Mopar's HD XJ radiator. It is a true 1-1/2" thick.

Mopar 52080104AC
http://www.factorymoparparts.com/oe-mopar/52080104ac

I buy all my Factory parts through the local dealer. After finding the cheapest online price, print out the sheet showing the PN and price and take it to the local Chrysler/Jeep dealer.
My dealer has always matched the price.

When I got my MJ 8 yrs. ago I went and bought a 2 row all metal radiator from Radiator Barn, full lifetime warranty, anything goes wrong, replace the radiator for free, whether I was on the road, out of town or whatever, they would get me a new radiator. Fast forward to 2014, I was having overheating problems and so I went ahead and fixed/replaced everything except the radiator. Converted to open cooling, flush & fill, hoses, t-stat, stat housing. Still overheating. So I decided to do the warranty on the radiator. They're out of business. So I bought a Spectra, plastic tanks, aluminum OEM replacement at Auto Zone.

Damn thing has run perfectly without ever getting hot, no leaks, tight Super Stant cap. It gets into the 100's here regularly every summer. It's got a warranty too. For my $105.00 I'll continue to buy this model.

Note: I will also replace it every time I think I have the slightest problem...for free.

I just replaced the rad in my 96xj last night. Got warranty on the 8 year old Spectra from Autozone. I thought that was a pretty good life out of a cheap rad.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

i'm not opposed to the AZ rad after hearing what you guys say.
if i decide to go with radiator express there is a few options....

obviously better to go with all aluminum than plastic? (even though you haven't had many issues)?

2 row vs. 3 row? really make a HUGE difference? this is a daily driver in OH. Rarely tow, if anything a small aluminum boat. Hot days in Summer.

not sure what their 1 1/4 thick tow model is about? i'll have to call them.

any final thoughts?
thanks

I just installed the Spectra. I have Amazon Prime, so it was $73 shipped. The reviews indicate that lots of folks have had good luck with them, which is not true of many of the other, more expensive options. It dropped in perfectly and to my eye, looked to have the same quality of core and assembly as the OEM rad it replaced.

Paul

Some folks try the all aluminum and have problems with them breaking because of the unibody flex. IMHO, get the Mopar HD or the Spectra and be done with it!

Back