• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thoughts on inverted rear leaves

chuck619120

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I installed these to help with the shackle angle:

I like the shackle angle much better and also like the extra little bit of lift. Hopefully will help with knocking the flares off. I don't think my springs are gonna like it though:

Thoughts?

Typically extended shackles will accelerate the sagging of stock XJ leaf springs. A good quality lift kit spring or well built bastard pack will be fine with extended shackles.

I was looking at those exact springs. I am thinking about either cutting my main and adding it to the new ones or maybe buying a helper spring. I am trying to not add any more lift, but could go to the upper hole in shackles to compensate for the added leaf.

With the lift shackles are you over extending your shocks when flexing? They look extended in the picture after the shackle boxes

Yes, I am sure I will need new shocks once I get it set up. Those are stockers from Napa.

Any input on any of these ideas is greatly appreciated

I've never run a factory spring that's been new. They maybe be ok for the setup you are wanting but will add a bit of lift I would guess. You could always add another isolator up front to level it.

Shocks, I like my bilstien 5100s. Bought the set of 4 on sale

Those springs aren't lift springs Chuck, they are stock replacements.

You aren't adding lift. You are at most bringing it back to where it was new.

I'm running those springs in this photo:

IMG_20160716_163039644_zpsto7hj6hn.jpg

Those springs aren't lift springs Chuck, they are stock replacements.

You aren't adding lift. You are at most bringing it back to where it was new.

I'm running those springs in this photo:

IMG_20160716_163039644_zpsto7hj6hn.jpg

That is exactly the stance(rake?) I am looking for. My question is will these new stock springs invert (sag) just like my stock ones in a month or two with my setup? If so I could add my mains or a helper to avoid it. I should be able to add either one and then drop a hole in shackle to bring it back to where I want it.

I've never run a factory spring that's been new. They maybe be ok for the setup you are wanting but will add a bit of lift I would guess. You could always add another isolator up front to level it.

Shocks, I like my bilstien 5100s. Bought the set of 4 on sale

I have a set of zj v8 springs I can add to front if I need to, but again really don't want any more lift. Those 5100s are for how much of a lift? Thanks guys for your input.

That is exactly the stance(rake?) I am looking for. My question is will these new stock springs invert (sag) just like my stock ones in a month or two with my setup? If so I could add my mains or a helper to avoid it. I should be able to add either one and then drop a hole in shackle to bring it back to where I want it.

I don't think they would sag that quickly no. I've had them on this rig since March or so.

When I bought it, it had clapped out stock springs with the exact same shackles you have. I replaced them with the leafs I linked, and spare stock shackles I had in the garage.

They sit a hair higher than the stock front, so I'm running a small spacer up front to level it out. I think your V8 ZJ coils would probably pair up really nicely.

Especially with those Bilstein shocks. That's a setup I would run in a heartbeat.

I have a set of zj v8 springs I can add to front if I need to, but again really don't want any more lift. Those 5100s are for how much of a lift? Thanks guys for your input.

Mine are for 3-4 inches of lift. I think you can get them for less. maybe 2-3"?

a stock spring is just not that strong. It will last, probably long enough for you to go bigger and change your setup again.
(yes it will happen so just plan on it)

That being said, most of the factory spring packs ive seen dead are from being inverted. get them twisted up a few good times with incorrect or non existent bumpstop setup and youll kill them real fast even being new. My 99 looked the same way frowning at 190k. But my 92 springs still had arch with 230k miles on them. before i swapped them

Mine are for 3-4 inches of lift. I think you can get them for less. maybe 2-3"?

a stock spring is just not that strong. It will last, probably long enough for you to go bigger and change your setup again.
(yes it will happen so just plan on it)

That being said, most of the factory spring packs ive seen dead are from being inverted. get them twisted up a few good times with incorrect or non existent bumpstop setup and youll kill them real fast even being new. My 99 looked the same way frowning at 190k. But my 92 springs still had arch with 230k miles on them. before i swapped them

LOL I just said to myself "order em and by time they sag I will prolly want something different anyways" You are spot on, I am never happy with what I got.

I did this same setup with shackle relocators and longer shackles with the Dorman leafs.
I have spring plates with the bumpstop "shelf" and 4.5" bumpstops.
Still bends them backwards.
My driver leaf is inverted on each side of the shortest leaf in the pack from compressing.
They have about 150 miles on them.

Back