• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle body mounting screw won't hold well.

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I think, some time ago, that I overtorqued one of the throttle body mounting screws that holds it to the intake.
I used some red rtv to keep it from backing out last time, but it's time to replace the gasket so I'm looking for more reliable fixes.
I've heard of a kind of loctite that forms its own threads.
WOuld that be a good fix or is there a better option?

i would use a thread repair kit, or name brand helicoil. all you need is a drill and a tap handle. buying the kit should include a drillbit, install tool, and needed tap(it's special)

Drill and tap to the next larger thread size, or use a Heli-Coil kit.

Anybody know what the next larger size would be, or what size the current screw is? If I pull it, I"ll have to walk quite a ways to get the right tap and screw if it is indeed stripped out.

Anybody know what the next larger size would be, or what size the current screw is? If I pull it, I"ll have to walk quite a ways to get the right tap and screw if it is indeed stripped out.

I don't know the size but if I was in your situation I'd drive to the hardware store and pull one of the screws out there, take it inside and figure out what you need. Hell, you could pull one of the three screws at home/reconnect the intake and still drive to the hardware store and be fine aside from a possible high idle.

I've never stripped one of those, but I have a stripped TPS bolt hole - I got all ready to drill/tap and discovered the next size up threaded perfectly into the old stripped hole without help :laugh:

Back