• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power in 4 wheel

Bigred81

NAXJA Forum User
So i have a brand new rebuilt 4.0 engine installed and took the xj out for the first time in a long time. It did great in 2 wheel (lots of power) so I took it out in to the canyon near my house. While going up a fairly steep hill in 4h that Ive done many times in the past i lost power half way up. I slowly backed down and tried again. Again I lost power at the top. RPM's dropped and stalled this time. I backed down again and tried 4l. Once i put it in drive and stepped on the gas it was like I was in neutral. Just revved up and nothing. So I tried 4h again and it worked but still total loss of power. Anyone have this problem? It only happens in 4 wheel

What year? A lot of early Jeeps have a "disco" axle with a vacuum actuated servo that could be leaking.

Sounds more like a fuel delivery issue than anything to do with 4wd. If RPM's went up, I would suggest checking your shift linkage to make sure you aren't popping out of 4 into N. Would this happen in 2wd too? I bet it would.

I have full power in 2wheel. I can can power break and burn the tires. it doesnt pop out of 4h just has no power. 2l feels like it goes in but when i put it in to drive it just revs.

I have full power in 2wheel. I can can power break and burn the tires. it doesnt pop out of 4h just has no power. 2l feels like it goes in but when i put it in to drive it just revs.

Does it lose power in 4h on level ground or only when climbing a steep grade? That's the point I'm trying to get at. Sounds like you installed everything and it worked great and then went out to play on a long steep hill for the first time and happened to need 4wd.

The last line of your response certainly sounds like the transfer case isn't fully shifting and also kind of conflicts with what your original post said.

Im a little confused about what you meant by the transfer case shifting. I thought you engage it and the transmission still does the shifting. Either way it does go in to 4h it just looses all power.

The hill isnt anything to freak out about. I have a full tank and would think I would notice something similar on flat ground flooring the throttle. Something to look in to though.

I would suggest checking your shift linkage to make sure you aren't popping out of 4 into N.
Sounds like 4-Low is not engaging. Could be a bad mount, linkage alignment, or both.

Just for a reference point, what transmission, transfer case, gear ratios in the axles, and tire size?

What is the surface of that big ol' hill: Dirt, rocks, pavement, a combination of the three?

if it was the distributor it would barely run a tooth off if at all since these are fixed distributors. It runs great in 2 wheel.
aw4, np2331, 3.55's, 31's,
Hill is dirt, hard packed.

Isn't the 231 a direct drive in two wheel high?
I'd kind of guess the transfer case or drive shaft to front axel is the issue since it drives like a beast in 2wd.

I probably look underneath to see if any thing is binding. Is the transfer case shifting correctly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id check your Transfer case linkage, I had an issue with mine coming clear apart when trying to go into 4H or 4L, got the boostwerks linkage, no problems there. but id check your transmission bolts, mounts, and front driveshaft.

Back