• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AR-23's

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
I recently asked a question about rims for my Xj. The most highly recommended rims that came to my attention turned out to be the AR23 rims. Because my Xj is two tone forest green and black, the silver would certainly look a bit odd I think. I was going to go for the black ones on tirerack. The thing is they dont tell you anything about them on the website. Anyone know what kind of metal they are made of? Also does the black paint scrape off easily? And most importantly, do they rust out. I live in new england. Enough said lol.

Wondering if your Google is broken ? One might reasonably suppose that those AR-23 are sold somewhere else that has a better description of them, or that maybe even American Racing dot com might have a website with some info.

I certainly dont have alot of time to surf the web. I work and go to college. But I only found one source claiming the rims are aluminum. Im asking for people that have them to let me know if this is true. As well as if the satin black paint actually lasts and does not come off easily

The ÀR23 are aluminum. Never seen them offered in colors. Sidewaysstarion has a set on his heep, IIRC. You may be able to get them powdercoated, plastidip etc.
I don't see the polished alum being 'odd' with your color scheme, unless that is not really something you are going for.

I certainly dont have alot of time to surf the web. ...

In less time than it took you complain, Googling AR-23 gives you about 277,000,000 results in (0.68 ) seconds with the American Racing website as the #1 result.

The American Racing dot com website tells us that the Aluminum AR-23 rims are anodized, which is not paint.

Not entirely sure how you got that info. Maybe its just different search results. But the website does verify they are aluminum. But customer reviews on many other sites say the black paint bubbles and peels off. And that the center caps rust out. I dont believe everything I hear on the internet so I came here to ask fellow jeepers about them. Im sorry you take the fact that im a full time law student as well as work a job as being a lazy ass complaining. I asked a question. Thanks for making this post a useless masquerade... Guess I just wont buy the damn rims.

If I can put in my $.02, those look pretty good on a XJ, although I would got for the bright finish. I'm at the point where I can't stand the "black out anything that might be bright or chrome" look though, so I might be a bit biased there.

But customer reviews on many other sites say the black paint bubbles and peels off.

Paint + Aluminum = mixed results.

The ARs look good in natural alum and the finish goes well with just about any color scheme unless you do a 24kt gold body wrap.

I too think the blacked out look is over done and think the natural finish would look good on your Jeep. I too am biased as I have natural aluminium finished rims on my XJ.

No you most certainly aren't wrong wagoneer, the black out look is WAY overdone especially on the new wranglers... which are ugly enough to begin with lol. But I am not sold on getting the shiny aluminum rims just yet. I am going to change my approach. Here is what this 98 Xj looks like today. Doesnt matter the color, if anyone has a suggestion on what kind of rims would look best on this please feel free to suggest. Just keep in mind im a college student so I only work part time (aka dont suggest $200 per rim merchandise). Id appreciate any suggestions brought to the table.
WP_20161024_12_57_51_Pro_zpsvta7z2sp.jpg
WP_20161024_12_57_24_Pro_zpsnfkgbwyd.jpg
WP_20161005_12_51_16_Pro_zpsxbt42hph.jpg

WP_20161024_12_58_54_Pro_zpsbgqdolxn.jpg

I took a close up of the fact that I used black truck bed liner on the lower parts of the doors and rocker panels while they are mint because from a distance in these pics it seems to look green like the rest of the Jeep.

My MJ is brown and aluminium wheels look just fine. They'd look even better if it were green. Think of the aluminium wheels as blue jeans; they look good with anything even if blue wouldn't ordinarily.

Me thinks you are over thinking this.

These are steel wheels which I find seem to resist the salt corrosion better than aluminum. I bought them from collins bros jeep as a package deal. 20 lug nuts, 4 center caps, and 5 15x8 rims for around $350.

Back