• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 D30 fitment issues

Dabahrxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, about to regear my xj from 3.07 to 4.56, bought a 3.73 up carrier for the D30. When I put the ring gear on there is no possible way to get the cross pin in. I have no problem grinding the gears a little, but I would have to dam near grind 2 entire teeth off for fitment and that's a big no go. The teeth cover 1/3 off the cross pin hole. So I'm trying to figure out possibilities of what's wrong here. Wrong gears? Wrong carrier? I'm crazy? Who knows. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks guys.
IMG_20161017_170001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20161020_160804.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
You should be able to spin the ring on the carrier before pressing on so that you'll only have to grind one tooth.

You should be able to spin the ring on the carrier before pressing on so that you'll only have to grind one tooth.

Thats what i thought aswell, however after trying the ring in every position this one seemed to be the best. Ill have to go out and check again to be sure. Even if i were to to only need to grind one tooth i would need to grind the entire toe off and grind slightly into the ring itself for the crosspin to clear. im at a loss since i dont seem to be able to find any way to clear the crosspin without excessive grinding

Last edited:
Assemble the carrier and install the ring gear.

HahahahHHaha I just had one of those moments. For some reason I was thinking the d30 was a c clip axle. It's just been one of those days. :banghead: if theres a mod around who wants to delete this thread and save me some dignity that would be pretty cool. Thanks guys

Yea I expected some grinding, but for the front it would have been two entire teeth haha. I have a 8.25 outback as well. Thanks again for helping me come to my senses.

Back