• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Progressive Spring Recommendations?

XJsportG

SouthEast #4328 (RVA)
NAXJA Member
What are the current recommendations for a good, high quality spring?

I had decided on geting a set of the PAC Racing Jeepspeed Springs (JP20x4.0x200P), but after talking with them again this morning they have about a 3-4 month lead time on a set. So they got ruled out fairly quick.

Ideally I was looking at getting a 4" coil around a 200lb spring rate, but am open to suggestions.

Currently I have a set of Clayton 4.5" coils that are 22" unloaded and have a 175lb spring rate. I also tried a pair of the Metalcloak True Dual-Rate 3.5" coils (22" unloaded, unsure of spring rate), but for a few reasons that did not work out either.

4" seems to be a tough size to find when it comes to XJs. And of course since I was looking at PAC, Deavers would be a nice 2nd best but they only have a 5.5" coil.

Who's got any thoughts on this?

I have a set of deavers. They aren't exactly 5.5" travel and by the time you do a steel bumper and winch, they come out to about 5ish. I really like them though. I previously had a set of claytons and I never noticed how sketch driving up down mountain roads was until I drove the same roads with the deavers. Claytons are just too soft for me. Just my opinion.

I would take the extra lift and do the deavers without hesitation.

They are firmer advertised than the Pac's (they come on about 240 and are close to 285 when you're at ride height) but are the most progressive and best handling coil i have ever used.

What are the current recommendations for a good, high quality spring?

I had decided on geting a set of the PAC Racing Jeepspeed Springs (JP20x4.0x200P), but after talking with them again this morning they have about a 3-4 month lead time on a set. So they got ruled out fairly quick.

Ideally I was looking at getting a 4" coil around a 200lb spring rate, but am open to suggestions.

Currently I have a set of Clayton 4.5" coils that are 22" unloaded and have a 175lb spring rate. I also tried a pair of the Metalcloak True Dual-Rate 3.5" coils (22" unloaded, unsure of spring rate), but for a few reasons that did not work out either.

4" seems to be a tough size to find when it comes to XJs. And of course since I was looking at PAC, Deavers would be a nice 2nd best but they only have a 5.5" coil.

Who's got any thoughts on this?

How much lift did you get from the Metalcloak coils and what was the issues with them?? Looking at them for my next build.

I would take the extra lift and do the deavers without hesitation.

They are firmer advertised than the Pac's (they come on about 240 and are close to 285 when you're at ride height) but are the most progressive and best handling coil i have ever used.

I was thinking they'd be the next best thing. My only concern is that the 4.5" Clayton coils are already a tad tall for me. I have a truss on the front which raised the coil buckets, so the 4.5" coils are netting me close to ~5.5-6" already.

I have a set of deavers. They aren't exactly 5.5" travel and by the time you do a steel bumper and winch, they come out to about 5ish. I really like them though. I previously had a set of claytons and I never noticed how sketch driving up down mountain roads was until I drove the same roads with the deavers. Claytons are just too soft for me. Just my opinion.

If I had a bumper and winch up front, I would definitely give the 5.5" another look.

How much lift did you get from the Metalcloak coils and what was the issues with them?? Looking at them for my next build.

I have a truss up front which moved my coil buckets, and cant measure from the top of the axle tube anymore, so YMMV. But measuring from the flat coil bucket to the frame with the Clayton coils I had 14". After installing the Metalcloak coils it was 12.25-12.5". The complete upper part of the coil was compressed, which from my understanding and looking at the pictures on their page, that isn't supposed to be the case.

I don't have a bumper or winch of front, so there isn't an extra amount of weight up there. The MC coils are also notice wider as well and would rub the frame up top. I'm at work right now, but I can post pictures and measurements when I get home.

Back