• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternative Dome Light Options?

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
Either my Google-fu is busted or there isn't much out there. I have to believe someone has tried some different dome lights.

I don't want a console. I would like to go LED though. And I definitely want better switches than the stock map light switches.

Someone else been down this road already and have some advice to share?

Not really. I want to replace the whole fixture. The idea is to find a better quality fixture in a different vehicle and swap that in.

1. go to a a junkyard,
2. find one out of a car you like,
3. install it.
4. post pics

Get a rear view mirror with map lights

The one just over the backs of the front seats is the one I am most interested in upgrading. I would call that front.

I don't have a middle.

The cargo one would be nice to upgrade too, but it is not quite the priority as is the front.

A Gentex mirror is in the plans. I can't recall if those have map lights or not, but if they do I don't think they can amount to much. I have one of those mirrors in the Suburban. I have never noticed the lights if it has them. (Keep in mind, as I have gotten older the world seems to have gotten dimmer. Some of you younger folks may not have yet experienced this.) The Suburban does have good lights in the overhead console, but I don't want an entire console up there. I would have to run my directional antenna mast through it.

I also dont use a rear view haha. The center main dome light is what im looking for. I have a few mods for the cargo area that will involve a few light options

That is the plan, but it seemed worthwhile to first ask if someone else has already learned some lessons on this subject.

I don't mind learning from my own mistakes, but I much prefer learning from the mistakes of others when possible.

Check at RV supply stores. They have a lot of different designs with or without map lights LEDs or what ever you want. I frequently us RV or marine parts on my Jeep.

Mid-90's Cherokee rear overhead Speakers with center dome light?

I plan to add this to a Comanche when time allows. Gives room to add almost any overhead light, etc. you would want and plenty of room for hiding wires. I might even add a power port for GPS, etc. and get those wires away from my shifter.

JeepComancher

I'm not sure exactly what he used but G Sequoia is running a decent unit in his hatch. Then again you may have already ruled it out.

But yeah, junk yards are fertile fields.

Last edited:
A cargo area one would be easiest with an overhead speaker setup since it has a dome light.

I'm not sure exactly what he used but G Sequoia is running a decent unit in his hatch. Then again you may have already ruled it out.

But yeah, junk yards are fertile fields.

Yes, but that is yet another mod. I have seen Geoff's hatch lights. IIRC they are pucks from SuperBrightLEDS.com Those, or something like them, are on the list, waiting for some extra round toits.

Right now I am trying to address things up front where the driver and copilot need some functional lighting.

It is going to be a JY trip. It would be much easier if I could drag in The Varmints with me. As it is I have to find some hapless victim so I can pawn them off for a few hours.

Back