• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Regulator thingie

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
1988 Cherokee 4DR Power Windows
The guide wire that goes into the motor has rusted to bits on one door and has fused the the plastic sleeve on the other.

Whats the best way to tackle this? i could search the JY for replacements.

1988 Cherokee 4DR Power Windows

The guide wire that goes into the motor has rusted to bits on one door and has fused the the plastic sleeve on the other.

Whats the best way to tackle this? i could search the JY for replacements.

You can spray a ton of lubricant in that plastic sleeve, but at a certain point it doesn't help.
I've got two rear window regulators I need to find JY regulators for. Far as I know there are no aftermarket parts available except for the motors .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's what i thought. ill have to go pick some up so i can button up that door. i don't want to have to take the door panel off again.

Yes, they are non interchangeable . You have to find another XJ rear regulator for the side you need. I think 84-95-96 may interchange but I don't know. I thought I read the old body style worked until the 97 changes .
I'll try to research it

Hollander says 1987-91 on the rear regulator , then 92-96,
eBay sellers say 87-96,
Could be a plug change or nothing at all, Hollander often uses factors parts interchange info so it can be off unless you know how to work the system

You can spray a ton of lubricant in that plastic sleeve, but at a certain point it doesn't help.
I've got two rear window regulators I need to find JY regulators for. Far as I know there are no aftermarket parts available except for the motors .

I found that Holding that tube and filling it with PB Blaster to soak the wire coil inside works great. But I recently discovered mu glass is hanging up on the bottom inside wind seal in spots, so I lubed the rubber ( bit messy, but at least now I know why the window struggles.....I seem to have door/seal issues, not flat anymore???

I found that Holding that tube and filling it with PB Blaster to soak the wire coil inside works great. But I recently discovered mu glass is hanging up on the bottom inside wind seal in spots, so I lubed the rubber ( bit messy, but at least now I know why the window struggles.....I seem to have door/seal issues, not flat anymore???

I've spent a lot of time trying to rehabilitate those rear regulators, every piece of trim it touches got a good silicon spray soaking. I do think these trim/seals cause a lot of problems and may be a major factor why the movement slows, but those regulators are pretty rusted up from 24 years in Florida-Bama.
Haven't tried PB blast yet, I'll do that before trying to replace them.

Thing is the rear windows were almost never used for the 15 years we have had it, only got use when my nephews (under 10 years old) became crazy about going everywhere in the old jeep.

Front regulators are regularly used still work fine.

Back