• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with wiring a tauras fan

fuelfox4949

NAXJA Forum User
after ready numerous pages on this site and a few others
i have a few questions of the process.

so far i have the Taurus 2 speed fan and various wires, 40amp relay and 125amp continuous duty relay, going to go pick up a on off on switch this weekend.

any diagrams you have would be great!

i have a good understanding where to run the wires however i do not 100% know the size wires i need.

from my understanding thus far i will run 8awg wire from the high and low of the fan to the relays.
i will put 8awg wire and inline fuse of 30 amps for low and 70 amps for high from the battery to the relays.
what size ground wire should i use for the relays?
and what size wire do i use to run from the relays to my toggle switch in the cab?
last what size wire do i use to tap into the 12v ignition switch?

my intent is to leave the fan on low and have it come on when i turn the jeep on, however i do want to be able to flip it to off to help my jeep warm up and also for water crossings and have the ability to flip it to high when i need to.

also my relay is 5 pin 40 amp bosch style for the low
and i have a semi truck solenoid that i was told is rated for 125 amp and continuous duty looks to have 4 connections on it.

i hope someone can read and understand all this and help haha.
thank you in advance.

8 for your ground also. You can do 16 for your switch an ignition tap since those are low amp circuits. On the 5 pin, the very middle terminal is normally closed so you prolly won't use that. I had this fan on my foxbody, it'll pull 90a at start and a continuous 30a on high, and about 30a start and a continuous 12-18 on low, so you should be good. If you can't figure out the fan, just hook some wires up to a battery and see what happens. You'll know what spped is which. That thing will pull some serious air btw. I never had to turn mine on high.

since you're using relays the cab/ignition wire can be small they don't have much amperage running through them.

Your relays need to be setup so that low speed disengages when highspeed engages. This information I stumbled upon in hours of looking when doing my taurus fan.
It will still work but may burnout sooner if you don't. Per someone testing the motor who clearly knew more than I about electrical motors.

I'll see if I can find the wiring diagram I made.

Here you go these might be helpful.
Someone double check the logic on my wiring I'm studying calculus for a test tomorrow and I'm already too far off task. Or I'll check it later I made that 2 or 3 years ago.

Edit: ok it looks right to me low's power is coming from high being off. now I should probably turn my monitors off ;). If you get a beefy enough SPDT relay you can skip the solenoid part just remember taurus fans spike really high when starting.

d26PnOl.jpg

2jaDY24.jpg

Last edited:
and what wire goes to my ignition wire? would that lead to the on off on switch?
ignition wire to toggle switch along with the fan high and low wires?

If you aren't set on using a bunch of parts to build your controller, you can pick a "Volvo 2 speed fan control switch module" up off ebay pretty cheap and easy to install and it doesn't take up a bunch of space. Volvo uses the same fan, so it is perfect for the Taurus. You can find new ones for $20-$25 and used OEM ones with the plugs and enough wire to solder in for $20-30.

Here's a random one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-2-Spe...ash=item3aa139a609:g:c9EAAOSwc1FXXyJp&vxp=mtr

Might be to late for the suggestions, but might help out the next searcher....

Yes the green and pink are the inputs to activate them how ever you want to do it from there is up to you. I used the stock temp sensor for the aux for my high and an adjustable for my low.

If you aren't set on using a bunch of parts to build your controller, you can pick a "Volvo 2 speed fan control switch module" up off ebay pretty cheap and easy to install and it doesn't take up a bunch of space. Volvo uses the same fan, so it is perfect for the Taurus. You can find new ones for $20-$25 and used OEM ones with the plugs and enough wire to solder in for $20-30.

Here's a random one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-2-Spe...ash=item3aa139a609:g:c9EAAOSwc1FXXyJp&vxp=mtr

Might be to late for the suggestions, but might help out the next searcher....
Also a good option, I couldn't find any local can't remember if I checked ebay.

I wired up a Taurus fan the same way go jeep did it works very well even in the Australian summer.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall3.htm

One thing I did add was a indicating led wired it to the supply side of the low speed circuit. Right where the 8 gauge wire attaches to the relay.
This comes on when power is supplied to either the low or the high circuit of the fan.
Had 2 issues incidences when the fan * should* have been on but was actually not, she got pretty hot.
A single 4or 5 multi core wire running through the firewall on the initial install will allow you to retro fit the led if you decide you want it down the track.
Good luck with it

I just did this in my 98. But i used a Volvo 2 speed relay as mentioned above. Another 40a relay for keyed power. A Saab in line adapter and a dual temp switch out of a Cadillac catera. Comes on low side at like 218, shuts off at 208. High side has never came on as it never gets above 220.but if for some reason it does get hot, high side comes on at like 235 and off at 228 i believe.

But even so cycling on and off, my relays get hot as balls. Like too hot to touch. Going to switch my 40a relay to a continuous duty 100a relay

Back