• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger side nutstrip ?? Factory Tow

m42duster

NAXJA Forum User
The factory hitch on my 99 is rusted thru with big holes around the receiver point and needs replaced. I got all 4 bolts out on the passenger side. The driver side has two bolts at the bumper end that screw up into the strip, but the exhaust hanger bracket has two studs facing down with nuts holding it up.

I thought all 4 bolts went up into the strip. I'm hoping that these last two bolts weren't fished down in by a muffler shop and will just start spinning.

Anyways, I have looked at tons of pics and a few vendor videos that show hitch installs, but none have been like mine. Is this normal for factory tow packages? Are the two downward facing studs welded in from the top?

I know I need to start wrenching to see for myself, but I'm sore as hell at the moment from working on it last night.

All the nut strips I have seen, including mine for a '96, have 4 nuts welded to the strip. You may be able to use a nut splitter, or use a cutoff wheel and angle grinder.

Tom

I just finished removing the hitch. Those two downward studs are def welded or something. The nuts were harder to get off than the other bolts were. Good quality bolt and nut, though. Very little rust and glad I can reuse them.

Strange though, There was another unused nutstrip hole/bolt under the hitch mount. Surprisingly, the strips are in good shape. I figured they'd be all rusted and need replaced.

Last edited:
If you go to this page

https://xjjeeps.com/

and scroll down to page 377 of the 97-99 service manual. It does show what looks like a screw stud mounting up into the nut strip, so I take back what I thought.

Tom

Back