• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED replacement foglight?

BrianDunning

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know a good BRIGHT LED foglight replacement that will fit in the factory spot? This is an '01 Sport. Too bright for street use is fine.

It's my son's car and he has minimal tools and nowhere to work while he's at college, so I'm looking to stick with the stock wiring and mounts if possible.

IMG_7453.jpg

To make it easy cut the pigtails off the factory fog lights. Then you can solder/butt connect them the new lights. You have a price range on the lights. I'm sure just about any cheap led light will be an improvement over factory.

we did axle rebuilds, motor swaps, and all kinds of stuff at school... where there is a will, there is a way. even with basic hand tools.

stock mounts are goofy. if you want to reuse those, he is best off going to a JY and pulling some. they will also be plug and play.

for a little more work, get these:
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Driv...&qid=1472079204&sr=8-2&keywords=led+fog+light
drill a couple holes in the bumper to mount them.
cut the wires and crimp them to these lights.
the draw is only 2A, so itll be fine on the stock fog lamp harness.

Is it possible to solder wiring inside and then install the lights outside for him? I'd visit a junkyard and get a set to build up an "adapter" of sorts. Use the stock pigtail for plug and play and modify the factory plastic bracket/mounting area to hold the new lights.

Why the need to upgrade? Actual foggy weather lighting or long range driving, or off road spread?
I installed a relay harness to the battery, cleaned and polished the lenses, and Hella yellow H3 lights and my stock fogs are phenomenal!! Nice wide, low, bright yellow spread.

I also have the lights that VA suggested in flood pattern on my A-pillars - They are very bright but do not have a long "throw" of light, but perfect for lighting up trail sides at night. Seal them with RTV before installing!

As of 2016 there are no good quality replacement bulbs for Stock fog lamps or for stock headlamps. The simple solution is to buy stock replacement lamp assemblies, as they will be plug and play.

Soldering wires is not brain surgery, some decent quality LED lamps and a soldering iron will cost about the $100 target price.

I ordered some LED cubes from amazon, $30 for 6 of them on sale. Not sure if they will fit where the stock ones are on your 97+ model but I will say that they are bright! I have had to turn mine downward to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. They are not long range but I bet they are better than the stock fogs. They are not DOT approved but I have never been pulled over and they passed inspection here in VA.

IMG_20160808_155823945.jpg

As of 2016 there are no good quality replacement bulbs for Stock fog lamps or for stock headlamps.

I disagree. Picture is nothing more than stock housing with a H3 Silverstar on the right and H3 Hella Ion on the left with a clean lens and direct harness. It works great in foul weather with the yellow bulbs, foggy nights are much better to drive in.

48b191fb8972a1ad92eb5eba37210fe4.jpg

Most LEDs are just too bright to function as actual fog lights; glare is nasty with them in precipitation. As an auxiliary light on dark stretches LEDs can be great, but in foul weather I've just had bad experiences.

Sent from my LG G4 using TapaTalk

Ah, I jumped the gun Tim. With you on no good LED bulbs. Automotive tech bulbs just haven't gotten there.

Sent from my LG G4 using TapaTalk

Back