• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Help

jeepinandy58

NAXJA Forum User
If someone with a 1990 XJ could help me out, I would really appreciate it. I have a 4.0L from a 90 XJ w/AW4 that have installed in an 89 YJ; the harness that came with it doesn't seem to be right (connectors do not match up). If I could get someone to take pictures (starting with the connectors for the alternator/distributor), it might make life a lot easier for me. Thanks in advance!

Oh, um.
The YJ had a 4.2 carbureted right?

Not sure how that's going to hook up, might have to make the AW4 run on its own separate from the YJ engine harness. But I honestly don't know.

I'm sure someone here who knows that transmission can give you pictures and advice you need.

EDIT, oh you are doing the whole swap. Strange the JR didn't pull it all connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the C101 is not on this connector; with the AW4 I got the harness and TCU. Picked up the linkage as well so I think I am in good shape with the tranny (we'll see once I get to that part!) since I had no problems connecting all of that. While I wait to see if anyone can help with pics, I am going to see if I can find a copy of the 1990 electrical troubleshooting manual....might have the connectors I am looking for in it and that might give me a clue (fingers crossed)

Here is a electrical troubleshooting for a 88 Comanche, I believe the electrics should be nearly the same to 1990.
http://www.bteventures.com//mj1988electricalmanual.pdf

About page 76 is where plug identification starts. Might be of some help until someone with a1990 renix jeep can help

I checked this manual, close but not quite what I need....I may be able to find out from the owner of that site if they know where I could find the 1990 version. Ya never know, might be the lead I need!

:geek:

http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/jeepinandy58/library/?sort=3&page=1

The picture labeled Alternator/distributor does not connect to anything on the harness. The other pictures are the connectors that are part of the harness. Trying to decide which parts are the OEM for a 90 XJ. I don't have a problem with using a harness out of a junkyard; I am trying to make this a "plug and play" instead of a "snip and solder" kind of thing. From what I have seen so far, the connector on the Alt/Dist is original and, if I'm correct, that means the harness is not original. Going to try to find some time this weekend to trace out the wiring from the ECU to the harness.

Weren't the renix harness in two part for the engine bay. I don't have a renix so I'm in that dark really. But I thought there was one part that went to the engine and the more for the battery to the fire wall.

You what I'm probably wrong, ignore me. I'll do some research then get back to you

The plug coming out of my distributor is a 4 wire, square design. Similar to the tps connector.

Don't do photobucket, so if you want the pic you will have to pm me ur email.

Just looking at pictures, it does look like renix has one that runs from the battery to the firewall fuse panel bulk head. And the other looks like it's to the motor itself.
Did you get the all the harnesses ? I'm wondering if you don't need that other part for those plugs .
Of course I could be wrong about the engine bay harness for the 90.

Sorry I don't get it. :) are you trying to make the 4.0 work off of the YJ control circuits? Or did you get all the harnesses from the 4.0 ECU, ignition fuel etc.?

Pretty much two totally different (incomparable) setups IMO if your YJ is anything like my old one (carburated). There really isn't a lot you can use from the YJ harness in the engine bay.

Are you trying to keep the YJ ignition circuit (which is a giant mistake).

You mentioned the TCU, I'm really wondering what you are going to do for a rear driveshaft?

Wish I was around close to give you a hand.

Best advice is to do one sub system at a time, like the ignition system, using the book Green Mesa XJ recommended.

If he has all the transmission and engine wiring how would it be tied in to the YJ? In the Cherokee it runs through the firewall bulkhead to the fuse box dash wiring. If the YJ fuse box bulkhead is similar enough I guess they could connect that way.

Do you have a plug that looks like this in your engine wiring from the junk yard?
fdf8bc1c8788cd8126551cd318c93553.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/jeepinandy58/Engine Bay 1_zpsjh8tsxgd.jpg

Green Mesa - don't have that connector on my harness.
8 - No, not using the YJ ignition other than the ignition switch.
I originally got the 4.0 from a guy that pulled it out of his 90 XJ; sold me the engine, tranny, TCU, ECU and harness for $225. Mach90 sent me a picture today that leads me to believe a part of the harness is missing (I may have lost it or it wasn't included). This is a project that got delayed for a few years and I am got the opportunity to get back into it. Earlier today I had the time to determine that the harness and ECU are correct. The link above is to Engine Bay 1; the next 3 pictures show the rest of the engine bay. Picture 3 is of the YJ wiring that is still there. My plan is to get the engine wiring connected (O2 sensors, temp sensor, etc.) then tie in the 12V, switched 12V. For now, I am going to see if I can find the part of the harness that connects to the alternator/distributor...not going to look too hard though....starting to get a little anxious to get it running.
Mach90, thanks for the pic-it led me resolving several questions.
Everybody...thanks for jumping in and helping!!

Yeah, you're missing the second part of the harness. But it sounds like the guy who sold it to you gave you a great deal, so I would not sweat it.

I'd check with car-part.com and Hollander part (on line junk yard searches) or eBay for the last part of the harness. Maybe some of the renix experts here can tell you how to hook up the rest by buying a few plugs and splicing it to the YJ harness.

Good luck. It's a cool project.

Back