• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC on = high idle

CarbonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So my '00 4.0L AW4 has decided it wants to boost the idle whenever I turn on the AC.

https://youtu.be/xIsUWgS6x8M

Before today, it has not done this. Nice and steady idle, just a little blip when the compressor clicks on. I noticed when I put it park that my rpms were at 1000, and the AC would click on and they would increase up to 1200, and it would cycle like that until I turned off the AC; and boom back to normal. No MIL, no driving issues, nothing out of the ordinary; this just showed up. It does not drop back down until I turn off the AC. It is almost like I'm flipping the extended idle switch of the police package...

My next step is to search for a vacuum leak once the weather cools down later this week, and pull the throttle body and IAC to clean them. But the fact that it ONLY occurs when the AC is active leads me to believe that this electrical issue, and not a mechanical leak. I'm looking at the IAC and TPS as possible culprits. Thoughts?

Almost everything that's related is controlled thru the PCM.

I'm struggling with a compressor clutch that won't engage when the underhood temp is really high. I get this same symptom of high idle because the compressor isn't engaging but the PCM thinks it is.

Maybe your compressor isn't actually engaging?

It is definitely engaging. The AC gets cold and stays cold.

I only drove it once this week after it did this, and it did not do it again. I will be driving it more this weekend so I'll see if it is a repeat performance and try to diagnose as it happens.

Back