• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running with ignition off.. Not the switch?

Rockdrummer93

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so a while ago my 01 XJ started acting like the ignition switch had gone bad. I would turn the key off but the jeep remained to run the radio, blower, and all the accessories would quit but not any of the components that allowed the motor to run. I just put a switch in it thinking that was the issue but no change.. Kinda stumped at why this is.. Any help would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone

Did it run smooth or rough? Either way I would check the ASD (automatic shut down) relay.

Runs smooth no change with the key on or off.. I've pulled the ASD relay and it does shut off.. I was told that means if is still good?

Sent from my iPhone
Swap the ASD relay with a different relay. If it still keeps running, you have either a wiring problem or an ECU problem. The relay should only stay energized for a second, just long enough to reset the IAC, and then release, turning off the ECU. The signal to turn off the relay comes from the ECU.

Just swapped the relay and it continued to run.. I'm searching the harness now for any cunning looking crap.. If I can't find anything i will looked into getting a new ECU.. Now I do need to add. I have set a small fire behind the dash welding in my cage. The fire was short lived and contained to the HVAC only. Did not touch anywiring but some radio wires. This didn't cross my mind at first because after this the jeep ran and shut off normally for a good while after. But was the first area I checked when checking the harness

Sent from my iPhone

I would have to research what triggers the ECU to start the shutdown sequence. Maybe someone else remembers how that works.

It might be interesting to measure the current draw after you pull the ASD to see if anything is still getting powered.

Yeah... That would be great to figure out. Even with the ASD relay out it still primes the fuel pump and turns on the cluster like it's ready to run.. If I can't figure it out I'm half way tempted to NASCAR switch this shit.

Sent from my iPhone

.... I do need to add. I have set a small fire behind the dash welding in my cage.

I would suggest that the fire did more damage than you think, and some visual/physical inspection and wire continuity testing is required.

The ignition switch puts a 12 volt signal to the ASD relay and to the PCM...when the PCM senses the 12 volts, it grounds the ASD relay, which closes, and then the relay sends power thru to keep everything running.
When you turn off the ignition switch to off, it should remove the 12 volts from the PCM and ASD relay, relay should de-energize, and jeep should stop running.
Check the ignition switch wiring. C1 pin 9 dark brown wire ...12 volt should turn on and off when you turn the key from on to off.

Figured it out.. There was a wire that the PO had spliced into the ignition wire that had some how rubbed raw or something but once I unhooked it and tapped it up it works just fine

Sent from my iPhone

Back