• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where would you take this XJ for tranny work?

BrianDunning

NAXJA Forum User
'01 Sport auto 4x4 has developed a big vibration under accelerating, smooth as glass when cruising or decelerating. I'm afraid it's the tranny. Would you take it to a Jeep shop or a transmission shop like AAMCO?

If my transmission fell out of my truck...I wouldn't take it to AAMCO...even if it were free. My personal opinion of course.

Aamco WILL tell you need a new transmission for $3500. Even if it's not your tranny...it's what they do.

They told my father in law he needed a new tranny for $3550. It was 2 quarts of fluid low and a little brownish, I drained and filled it for him. He then drove it to Texas and back with no issues. Ran fine until he sold it a few years later.

My son went to Aamco with his older Camry, they said new tranny, $3600. Local shop fixed him up with a used tranny for $300, plus R & R $550. $850. That was 4 years ago, still going strong.

Advice - If you haven't already...do some actual troubleshooting...buy a manual. AW4's are extremely hardy and durable. Don't just assume your tranny is shot. Check the fluid color/smell/level. If it runs smooth when cruising it likely not a huge issue.

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/jeep_comanche_service_manuals.html

Research transmissions a little, so when you go to talk to a tranny shop you'll have an idea of what they're talking about.

Second for dans advice, remove shafts one at a time....it is very possible you just have a bad u joint

I wouldn't take it to a shop honestly if it's toast but a used one. But these transmissions don't go bad easily.

The vibration sounds like a UV joint going in the drive shaft. If you don't catch it in time it can snap the dog ears on the axel yoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are COMPLETELY right about pulling the shafts, but honestly my son needs to take this XJ back to school with him in 2 weeks and with my work there's no way I'm going to have time to do it myself in that time frame. I don't have a spare hour let alone a day. :-(

I seriously doubt it's the transmission, they could rebuild or swap and the problem would still be there.

Do you have any half way honest shops around? If get them to check your drive shafts, then move on to suspecting transmission mounts and the torque converter and transmission.

It ought to be a simple evaluation by a shop, and a easy repair.

Is there a shop that specializes in drive shaft rebuilding?

I hate to offer this name but the local Firestone has done ok by my sister when I was not around to check out what's wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my transmission fell out of my truck...I wouldn't take it to AAMCO...even if it were free. My personal opinion of course.

Aamco WILL tell you need a new transmission for $3500.

They told my father in law he needed a new tranny for $3550. It was 2 quarts of fluid low and a little brownish, I drained and filled it for him. He then drove it to Texas and back with no issues. Ran fine until he sold it a few years later.

My son went to Aamco with his older Camry, they said new tranny, $3600. Local shop fixed him up with a used tranny for $300, plus R & R $550. $850. That was 4 years ago, still going strong.

Advice - If you haven't already...do some actual troubleshooting...buy a manual. AW4's are extremely hardy and durable. Don't just assume your tranny is shot. Check the fluid color/smell/level. If it runs smooth when cruising it likely not a huge issue.

Research transmissions a little, so when you go to talk to a tranny shop you'll have an idea of what they're talking about.

Transmission%20Mount%20Bracket_zpszyqtjew5.jpg
Look here:

before I re-worked my exhaust, my pipe was contacting the crossmember, like Cruiser's picture. After fixing all the hangers and replacing the tranny mount, it rides about an inch above the crossmember and all around.. when it was hitting the crossmember it make a horrible vibration that SOUNDED rotational, but wasn't.

Keep looking

before I re-worked my exhaust, my pipe was contacting the crossmember, like Cruiser's picture. After fixing all the hangers and replacing the tranny mount, it rides about an inch above the crossmember and all around.. when it was hitting the crossmember it make a horrible vibration that SOUNDED rotational, but wasn't.

Keep looking

excellent^^^advice right here.

Use your own eyes.

X2 on this. Had the same problem with my dealer ages ago.

Aamco WILL tell you need a new transmission for $3500. Even if it's not your tranny...it's what they do.

Back