• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone else have these cracks on the back of Jeep?

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
These cracks have been here since i bought the jeep in 2013. They have lengthened a bit. Just curious if im thr only one with this issue.
Driver side

Last edited:
I don't have paint cracks there on one of my old xj the rear passenger door was reskinned and repainted on the cheap that has cracked all over. When I got it he told me I needed to have the paint redone sometime soon.

If that just the paint cracking? Or does it go through the metal?

It kind of look like a paint job with bondo underneath that is stressed.

Yeah its definitely through to the metal. I can see shinny or slightly rusty color and it cant be chipped off. Definatrly looks like steel along the crack.

Im planning on tieing the rear of the cage to the frame rails next week. Maybe that will tighten things up?

That is a favorite place to wrinkle when you drop off a ledge onto the rear bumper. Once wrinked, it will tend to flex more and more until the metal work hardens and cracks.

I don't know what you all are looking at, but those photos are of the tail gate, notice the window above to the left, nothing else just the tail gate, note the tail light locations too. The tail gate is make of fiberglass, and those cracks are in the fiberglass. No metal involved. Looks like some one damaged the tail gate..... fiberglass gel coat can seal the cracks, then sand and paint.

I don't know what you all are looking at, but those photos are of the tail gate, notice the window above to the left, nothing else just the tail gate, note the tail light locations too. The tail gate is make of fiberglass, and those cracks are in the fiberglass. No metal involved. Looks like some one damaged the tail gate..... fiberglass gel coat can seal the cracks, then sand and paint.

That picture is not the tailgate. It is the drivers rear of the jeep above the gas cover. Also i have the 99 XJ so the hatch is steel.

Look again. It sure looks like the crack is in the sheetmetal to me.

If you wrinkled it that much, I would crawl under and check the frame. It isn't uncommon to put a wrinkle there also.

I thoroughly inspect the frame rails. They look fine. There could be small cracks under the paint and undercoating though i suppose

You don't tend to see cracks, but ripples are not that uncommon.

Are those the ripples? I always thought it was normal. Been like that as long as ive had the jeep. Passenger side has leas rippling, but in same area

That picture is not the tailgate. It is the drivers rear of the jeep above the gas cover. Also i have the 99 XJ so the hatch is steel.

Thanks, I see it now. Looks old_man nailed it.

I just remebered that this car has a salvage title, and i had to bend the bumper to fit a hitch. Seems to explain a lot. I guess a little damage doesnt matter?

I haven't had an XJ without the problem. I will try and take a pix of what I am talking about this afternoon.

I haven't had an XJ without the problem. I will try and take a pix of what I am talking about this afternoon.

This is interesting.

I am in the process of putting rear lower inter grated qp armor on my XJ.
Through that process I have wanted to drive the vehicle and loosely installed the inner trim, I.E. I installed the screws but didn't push it onto the retaining tabs below the qp window.

However they will install themselves if you drive some "ruff roads", which leads me to believe the truck flex's a lot in that area.

That makes sense because xj's are known for that, that sucks because I got dent's in that same area.

They look like that too.

Back