• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ LS swap wiring

Skwirl

NAXJA Forum User
I have read most of the swap threads on the web for LS swaps for the XJ.
Most reference LT1 swap for modifying the GM harness or other companies to make it.

Most of the guys on give a short reference to removing the jeep wiring.

My question: what should be removed from the XJ? Cut everything out of the jeep that goes to motor/AC/radiator fan and leave everything else? Any guidance in this area would be appreciated. I would like to retain dash cluster of its easy but would change dash cluster of its complicated.

I can't find guidance on merging the jeep and LS wiring for a "wiring dummy"

I have read most of the swap threads on the web for LS swaps for the XJ.
Most reference LT1 swap for modifying the GM harness or other companies to make it.

Most of the guys on give a short reference to removing the jeep wiring.

My question: what should be removed from the XJ? Cut everything out of the jeep that goes to motor/AC/radiator fan and leave everything else? Any guidance in this area would be appreciated. I would like to retain dash cluster of its easy but would change dash cluster of its complicated.

I can't find guidance on merging the jeep and LS wiring for a "wiring dummy"

There are 2 plugs that go to the Jeep PCM that are essentially the "engine harness" that can be removed. Some guys only pick out the few wires they need from the Jeep like constant and keyed hot wires and use a separate fuse and relay block. Some guys like what I did go crazy and chop everything up and merge them both into one loom and retain the factory Jeep PDC and reuse the relays and fuses in there.

What wires you need to keep/cut depends heavily on your year of Jeep, trim level and also how far you want to go with the "merging" of the two harnesses. Best bet is to get a Factory Service Manual for your exact year as there were changes in color and location of wires between years.

What do you want to keep from your stock jeep?

I chose to keep the stock gauges therefore I had to keep much of the stock XJ engine harness. I did remove everything that wasn't needed. I also used a FSM to do it.

One thing I'll warn you. Be ready to spend some $$. I originally budgeted for ~$7-8000. I'm north of $10k now on this swap. It can be done for less. I used all new AC Delco parts for anything I needed.

There isnt a guide for "wiring dummys". before I started this project I knew next to nothing about wiring. I could wire in a stereo or some switches, but thats it. Now i can (not easily) read wiring diagrams and understand what is happening. You're not going to know how to do everything (google is your friend). Also there's a HUGE 5.3 swap thread on Pirate 4x4. I read it TWICE before I started my swap...

basicly you need to remove any thing engine management related, depending on the year of xj and wether you want to keep factory style gauges.

97+ with factory gauges requires the pcm, 96- with factory gauges does not

I have low trim level Cherokee. Basically I will need to keep power:
All lighting, wipers and A/C controls. I would like to keep stock gauges but would change to aftermarket if it's a lot easier. I am the same skill level - wire some stereo systems, lights, switches etc.

Okay - FSM - gonna dig into that, thanks

I am trying to research as much as possible and try to get any obstacles figured out before hand. Yeah it's expensive but will render an all around, do anything vehicle I would be satisfied with for years and at a fraction cost of new vehicles.

Back