• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are 4WD vs 2WD Jeep XJ Transmission Different?

simspace

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I wonder if someone would explain to me the differences between Jeep XJ 4WD and 2WD transmissions?

I ask because I have a 2WD XJ. I got it for $400. It runs strong. It has low mileage. I've done bunch of work to it, including making the doors removable. The body is in great shape. I was thinking of putting Dana 44 front and rear axles to turn it into an off roader.

I know somebody's going to say "don't bother, go out and buy one that's already 4WD." And I might do that. But that is not the purpose of this post.

I like wrenching on Jeeps!
I like learning new things!
I like challenges!

This is not about saving money. This is a personal challenge. This is about doing something with my son, spending time together, both of uf us learning new things together and achieving a goal.

So, I'm curious what the differences is between the two types of transmissions. And if I went this route, would I need to replace the existing tranny?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
The output is different. You'd be better off buying the 4x4 aw4 with transfer case, the rest is just picking up what you need. Like interior bezel and shifter for the tcase, and wiring harness .

You might be able to convert the output, but it's a lot of work and you'd have to find all the parts to convert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome info. Thanks for the links. Just knowing which model tranny was a huge help. I googled "AW4" and also found a bunch of great info.

Thanks again.

Glad to see help. It's a cool project.
Finding a XJ with a good body is getting harder to find so I think this kind of conversion makes some sense.
You could also put a five speed in it but that's a lot more work and cost. Aw4 are plentiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back