• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 extension housing bushing removal

StratoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello fellow jeepsters, owned an 96 xj 230k miles 2wd automatic transmission. I managed to removed the extension housing because of trans. oil leak. The bushing looks worn and there was play on the driveshaft, after a couple of hits with a hammer and a deep socket the bushing won't move. Does anybody knows of any special method and or tools to remove it and how to install the new one? Any advice or suggestions.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still not sure by looking at the pictures from which side of the housing I remove the bushing.

I believe it drives out the rear of the housing...towards the driveshaft. But I honestly haven't done one in years, and I could be mixing up memories from other vehicles.

I believe it drives out the rear of the housing...towards the driveshaft. But I honestly haven't done one in years, and I could be mixing up memories from other vehicles.

That is exactly correct.

But it is so thin that I gave up and used a screw driver to peel it away from the housing and basically pulled and tugged with pliers, wire cutters and a screwdriver to cut and peel it out and it was a god aweful mangled mess by the time I got it out. I think the posted the photo here at the time. The new one went in fine, has not leaked a drop in about 6 years since I did it. It is one supper tight fit. I was afraid the press force to get it out was going to break or warp the aluminum housing using a press.

Try squirting some Kroil or PB Blaster on both sides of the bushing,
letting it soak in for an hour or two. You could also warm up the
area of the tailshaft housing where the bushing sits with a propane
torch. Don't get it very hot, just warm it a little.

Before installing the new bushing, chill it in the freezer for a half
hour or so. This will shrink it a bit and make installation easier...

Thanks for the reply guys. I took the housing to a tranny shop, I was afraid of damaging it and for $10 they took the old one out and put in the new one. The mechanic drove it out towards the driveshaft end using a rod and what it looks like a socket the same size as the bushing after a couple of hits with a hammer it was out with no lube require. The shop mechanic mention another possible source of leak, a seal around the output driveshaft inside the tranny, by using some rtv with a screwdriver to applied it should take care of it.

Last edited:
Back