• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making good from my stock 95 xj

Steven95

NAXJA Forum User
I have for years wondered about the wisdom of the Cherokee, unit-body, short-arm, no V8, and why it has more aftermarket than the GM S-Blazer which is full-frame.
If i could invest a grand every day, i could buy an xj every day, and have change from each, but full-frame Wranglers can't be had under $2000 period.
I've had several S-10s, and have a 2wd version now, with an Explorer axle swap, and I bought an xj several months ago.
I'm impressed with how my xj moves away from a dead stop, how it hopped a curb, how it is a comfortable drive, but it seems to have broken at least one of the motor mounts before i got it, the rear axle growls alot, the front wheels seem cambered in at the top even though the tire wear doesn't bear it out, and the thing is much thirstier than any GM V6 ever. My 03 Astro AWD is more fuel efficient with more power, more displacement, more weight, more drag, and similar cruise rpm. So was my 94 C1500 4.3L with 3.73s.
Anyway, since trail use will fatigue the chassis, it needs a rear axle swap anyway, and that death wobble from not having leafs locating the front axle,
I think it needs a home-fabricated frame, like the CJ guys do.
I was tempted to swap the xj front axle under the front of my 2wd S-10, but i don't need a pickup off road. The xj cabin i have is a 2 door, and i like it, but idk if it is worth trying to use.
Any of you who wish to discourage this, please either bring about $800 cash and drive it away, or just type: "disagree". Thanks.
The rest of you are encouraged to offer suggestions.

Most crawler guys plate the subframe tip to tail. So there's your frame, just doesn't bolt together. A s10 with a sas would be cool but they're so ugly IMO.

Back