• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 XJ Axle durability - No rocks?

Skwirl

NAXJA Forum User
For you all that have LS powered XJ's............I am planning on 6.0 LQ4 Chevy swap. I have a Clayton 3 link with 35" tires on 15" rims.

Question - Will Built HP44/8.8 hold up if not rock crawling?

This vehicle would be used for weekend warrior trails, mud but no crawling.

I know that having this combo will end in smoking the 35's on pavement on a regular basis and WOT dirt slinging.

Everyone seems to base axle recommendations on rock crawling. I definitely don't want the weight and size of 1 ton axles. I would like to keep from purchasing another set of wheels and tires.

Is there any other choices that would fit the bill and hold up?
Any crate axle manufacturers you would recommend for this combo?

If your only in the dirt I don't think that'd be too bad. You may consider upgraded shafts tho like the Yukon super 88 kit. And yes your driving style has a big impact on stuff lasts.

Yes, built with super 88 kit and some type of locker. Would that handle wide open throttle on the street, some tire smoking fun and taking it easy off-road?

I really see no other good cost effective options when ruling out of 1 ton options.

It's a weekend warrior rig and daily driver.

Considering there are muscle cars that weight more and are hooking up on slicks hard enough to pull the wheels with serious traction and they have little issues with the 8.8 or even the old Chevy corporate 8.5 10 bolt. I'm sure on the street you would be fine since slicks definitely give more traction on pavement. Off road is a different animal where you introduce bouncing (shock loading gears/axles) and what can be some serious binding while heavy on the gas. With a stock 6.0 I wouldn't worry too much unless the setup was bad. Just my $.02

stock? I would be wary.

built? to what degree?

I would say yes.

crate options- ECGS for 8.8, but for the same money for a crate axle you can go 9" or D60 and never worry, and if you are sticking with aftermarket stuff their is not as big of a weight issue as junkyard tons.
the only real value in the 8.8 is they are readily available at junkyards.

currie, dynatrac, teraflex, G2 for the D44.

Guys run tons with v8 power in 42-44s and 4.0 with gears deep enough to eclipse a mild v8 and a stock gear t- case...lol...why would anyone tell you that you "need" tons on 35s to wheel with good results is beyond me...my guess is they have no clue.

Guys run tons with v8 power in 42-44s and 4.0 with gears deep enough to eclipse a mild v8 and a stock gear t- case...lol...why would anyone tell you that you "need" tons on 35s to wheel with good results is beyond me...my guess is they have no clue.

it's not the wheeling that I would be concerned with.

6.0 LQ4 Chevy swap....
smoking the 35's on pavement on a regular basis and WOT dirt slinging.

^that is far more detrimental to axles than rockcrawling.

Thanks for the advice. Just trying to re-assure what I think would be the best choice and you have confirmed that. In the 4x4 world when you start talking about V-8 power - all you hear is tons. I found a few more related threads now as well with people having the same rig purpose (DD, light wheeling, good highway manners.

For the front - I was really impressed on - Cherokee forum - flexin91xj - custom HP44 build...........

Time to start junkyard searches. Gonna do the back myself and consider a crate for the front or just gather parts and get someone to build the front.

Budgets been a little low lately but running 35s and stock gears is a pain in the arse

for as much time and work as your going to do (which isnt a lot) to put an 8.8 in the rear of the cherokee you should consider a ford 9". with a shaved housing youll actually net more ground clearance. but the biggest advatage to the 9" is the third bearing pinion support. it really helps to keep down gear deflection. the 8.8 will definitely handle the power... but the 9" is a better option at no more work.

I have a modified 5.9L magnum in my heavy ZJ with a 44/8.8" and 35"s and it take a beating in rocks. the 44/88 are very beefed up though. the 44 has a full case locker and RCVs with 30 spline outers the 8.8 has the Yukon ultimate 88 kit with a full spool. both are 4.56 gears and trusses. my axles impress me so much that I plan to bump up to 37"s when I can afford to

I think it would be fine. If 4600 guys can run on HP44's with 350-425 horsepower strokers flat to the floor for a hundred miles at a time on 35's, a little LS in the dirt should be safe.

I have an 8.8 in the rear of my 5.3 LS XJ with minor mods. WOT all the time on the pavement (3.73 and 33" tires), they wont break loose if its dry. It has the stock lsd with no slip modifier, does pretty good (both wheels spin if I do a brake stand which i have only done twice). Had it in mild rocks still did good (stock shafts). I do plan to put chromo's in it when I lock it and upgrade to 31 spline (I currently have 29 spline). I have also towed almost 5,000lbs with it over Donner pass multiple times, no prob.

For the front I am running a stock D30 with chromo shafts and a detroit trutrac. I have used the skinny pedal a few times in 4WD to get through obstacles, haven't had any issues yet...Went through some mud that a JK with 37's didnt have the power to make it, I plowed right through at 3/4 throttle without any issues.

I have an 8.8 in the rear of my 5.3 LS XJ with minor mods. WOT all the time on the pavement (3.73 and 33" tires), they wont break loose if its dry. It has the stock lsd with no slip modifier, does pretty good (both wheels spin if I do a brake stand which i have only done twice). Had it in mild rocks still did good (stock shafts). I do plan to put chromo's in it when I lock it and upgrade to 31 spline (I currently have 29 spline). I have also towed almost 5,000lbs with it over Donner pass multiple times, no prob.

For the front I am running a stock D30 with chromo shafts and a detroit trutrac. I have used the skinny pedal a few times in 4WD to get through obstacles, haven't had any issues yet...Went through some mud that a JK with 37's didnt have the power to make it, I plowed right through at 3/4 throttle without any issues.

this eases my mind a lot

I am running 31s and have an XJ D44 in the back and a D30 up front with 4.10s. No planned upgrades at this time other than building a new set of identical axles to go under it this fall.

im likely going to at least put an 8.8 out back and chromos in the 30

You guys here will be the first to know if something blows up on my rig :)

I am planning a Zip locker for the front and a Trutrac for the rear on the new set as well.

Back