• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start

1-tonxj

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
After a year sitting and countless hours of welding on my jeep battery still hooked up I decided to charge the dead battery and start it...lol...FAIL...at first I still had my rear tail light harnes unplugged I hooked that up to see what all worked .I have all rear power lights and wipers ...up front I have only turn and flashers no park lamps or headlights not even the beams off the fob . I have no guages like volts fuel ect no radio power no wiper power ...I do have. Hvac blower dash illumination and dimmer works and all idiot lights cycle when key on like trunk open park brake abs ect .

I have checked all fuses and relays power from battery to fuse block all fuse and relay pins for power on the fuse block ...jumped starter to check for power check battery to block and firewall to block grounds. All good

Key on to start the blower and all things that so work have power cut as they are supposed to when you engage the starter ...

The no radio...no head lamps...no front park lamps and no guages I think are all part of the same root cause for the no start ...lol...which I do not yet know what that is ...I did briefly before closing the hood for the day take quick stab at the 3 PCM harness plugs key on to see if any power to them I have yet to read in what I should look for there but of the 3 plugs the plugs in the ends did have a couple hot pins the center had none and I think that is the fuel injection part but as stated I do not know yet what to test for at those pins ...lol.get enough batteries and I can winch the trail forget the motor needing to start .

What kinda vehicle is this ? Year, engine, transmission, and any modifications relevant to the question/problem ?

What kinda vehicle is this ? Year, engine, transmission, and any modifications relevant to the question/problem ?

Right...it's a. 99 4.0 auto ...no mods to the engine or electrical. no hidden alarm. the only tampering with the electrical. Was the disconnecting of the junction box and rear harness to move them for cutting and welding . I also had removed the doors and only put back door skins so the harness that plugs into the doors is not used , which I can't see that doing anything .

The radio I do believe could be a symptom of the ignition switch and to my knowledge the radio has no PCM ties ...in fact it seems from reading that a failed switch could cause a few of my issues ...they are cheap enough so I'll probably pick one up ...I hate electrical , but on the other hand picking through the trucks electrical system and learning a bit of it could come of use when broken on the trail

Hmmmm, crap like this is always no fun.

Another reason I always take the two minutes to disconnect the batter before welding :D

Have you combed through every fuse you have just to double check?

I'd look at every one under the engine and behind the kick panel.

Have you verified the battery is 100%?

Do you have access to a FSM?

Go through the FSM wiring diagram / pin out diagram.

I'd verify that your PCM is getting power, a
nd outputting it as it should.

All fuses good in fuse box and junction box ...lol...that box no longer has a ki k panel to hide behind it is still sitting loose on the floor waiting on a final place to be mounted since the or mounting location was cut out and tossed away during the boatsides...battery was crap I knew it would be sitting discharged for over a year so I put a brand new one in for the trouble shooting . I will get the wire diagram to simplify the process ,but there appears to be power going to the pcm plugs ...The lack of head lights ...front park lamps...and radio seem to be related to ignition switch issues ....And yeah I always disconnected my battery and ecu for welding , however I had forgot and by the time I remembered it was hours of trigger time into the job . Will figure it out the Jeep system is simple compared to newer cars .

Yeah, your best bet is to just get the FSM Wiring diagram and just walk it from the source out, or from a problem area back. Luckily the system is pretty easy to walk through, it just takes a little time. It also helps to have a someone around to help.

You could walk yourself from the dash cluster that's not getting power, back towards power and see what's up. If it has power it should be at least doing something (from my experience), even if it's nothing more than reading "no bus".

Yeah, your best bet is to just get the FSM Wiring diagram and just walk it from the source out, or from a problem area back. Luckily the system is pretty easy to walk through, it just takes a little time. It also helps to have a someone around to help.

You could walk yourself from the dash cluster that's not getting power, back towards power and see what's up. If it has power it should be at least doing something (from my experience), even if it's nothing more than reading "no bus".

Good thing this was found during the burn ban as I can't weld or cut in the storage lot ,so finding this now does not feel like lost time , and I get to learn the wiring of the Jeep which no doubt will come to use sometime on a trail and not in my yard ...or...lol...helping another guy out who may not have the knowledge when broke on Sunday .

I'd check the grounds again and clean the living heck out of the ground from the battery to the block. Any under dash grounds you removed, like the one I believe that connects to the steering column or the drivers side kick panel?

I know it is not related to your starter solenoid, but there is a ground that attaches to the inner lip of the rear fender that grounds the fuel pump that bit me a while back.

Does it crank? Does the check engine light come on when you cycle the key?

No crank no sounds of pump no sounds of injectors open key on...no gauges no trip...the idiot lights come on and the mil light does come on ...no radio no head lights no front park lamps. Got flashers and turns no park lamps...everything in the rear is good .

All solved...it appears 3 months after disconnecting my junction box wire harness that I forgot I did a real good job of tucking three of the harness plugs up and behind the dash panel just beside the glove box I did that so they were no where near the cutting grinding and weld action , well it was such a good hiding job I never found them when I hooked the sob up...I found them when I started to trace the non working dome light back down the a pillar . What I did learn is that if a man's steering wheel is not locked all one needs is about two minutes to start an older Jeep with. no key.

Back