• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Brake parts

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
Where can I get the backing plates and all the internals to put parking brakes on my d44 rear axle ?? (d44 rear from an 05 TJ/LJ)

The guy I got them from didn't need a parking brake, but I will for state inspections.

If I can get the parts cheap enough, fine, otherwise, I'll just get a complete kit and end up with spare discs & calipers.

Ideas ? Suppliers ??

Could also use some front brake splash shields...............

Last edited:
OK....maybe someone knows the answer to this question then.

Will the brake backing plate & shoes/hardware for a 93-98 grand cherokee dana 35 disc brake rear fit on an 05 LJ rubicon d44 rear axle ?

all the kits I see says they fit dana 35 & dana 44......

Specifically mopar# 476212829K is what I am looking at.

Not sure, but I acquired a KJ liberty rear end (2005) to swap discs onto my XJ. The brakes appear very similar to those on the rear of my 03 TJ rubicon. The center holes are probably a different diameter however. In the past ive just removed corroded dust shields but thats your call.

You still need the backing plat for the discs. That what the caliper mounts to. I would go to parts store and ask for complete parking brake kit. You'll have to get cable too if you don't have a pair. Also the hook and spreader mechanism for setting the brakes doesn't come in the kit and will need to be purchased. All can be found at the junk yard, btw

You still need the backing plat for the discs. That what the caliper mounts to. I would go to parts store and ask for complete parking brake kit. You'll have to get cable too if you don't have a pair. Also the hook and spreader mechanism for setting the brakes doesn't come in the kit and will need to be purchased. All can be found at the junk yard, btw

Uh...the link I posted includes the backing plate

It says it includes all of this:
- 1 Left Dana 44 Rear Disc Brake Backing Plate, loaded with Parking Brake Shoes and Hardware
- 1 Right Dana 44 Rear Disc Brake Backing Plate, loaded with Parking Brake Shoes and Hardware
- Now Includes 3/8-24 Tee Bolts and Lock Nuts to mount the housing end flange.

And the part # I previously posted also includes all that stuff as well.

If I can't get my current cables to work, I will get something that will. Since mine are kinda rusty @ the spreader, new stuff is likely to be needed as well.

Right. Why are you buying backing plates when you already have them? I understood that you already have discs, just no parking brake, right? Bulk of the cost is the backing plates. I guess you could completely redo yours and hope someone else wants to do the conversion and will buy your current setup from you.

I do not have the full backing plate, I have only a portion of it, the cast bracket the caliper mounts on. Nothing that the parking brake stuff can be mounted to.

What I need, is the sheet metal portion that bolts to the cast bracket I have, which is where the shoes & such attach.

If you look at the link I posted, you can see the sheet metal & the cast parts are not 1 piece. And since no one sells just the sheet metal portion, I am stuck with getting it all and having spare parts/brackets.

At least with the parts I posted the link to, I won't have spare discs/calipers as well.

I have a spare axle laying around but I can't figure out how to post photos. The bracket that the caliper mounts to is seperate than the "dust shield". They are however riveted together

Just buy the kit, then, if you can't pull the dust shields from a junk yard 44. Lots of people swear by black magic so you should be pretty good there too.

I believe originally that backing plate is riveted on. However you could probably attach a new one with screws or bolts

They may be riveted from the factory, but the black magic stuff appears to have it sandwiched between the cast bracket and the housing.

I haven't been looking in the JYs yet.....so far it looks like parts from a TJ Dana 44 or TJ Dana 35 would work also.

Last edited:
Back