• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radial play in rear slip yoke

kstopp

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to fix a vibration and in the process I have temporarily removed my front driveshaft and replaced the rear u-joints with Spicer 5-1310X sealed joints.

While checking the run out of the rear driveshaft I noticed that there is 0.015" of radial movement at the rear transfer case slip yoke. I have recently replaced the rear output bearing, bronze bushing and seal in the extension housing of the NP242 trying to eliminate this play.

Measurement location

I believe this play is in the splines of either the transfer case mainshaft or the driveshaft yoke. Are these pieces commonly replaced together, similar to roller chain and sprockets being replaced together?

Generally the only thing people do is grease the splines to avoid clunks shifting gears. I would look elsewhere for your problem. What kind of vibration is it... where do you feel the vibration & under what circumstances does it occur?

Back