• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor swap question

Cj2asarah

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone! My daily driver is a land rover discovery and its pretty expensive to fix when things go wrong, so I went to a friend who owns a junk yard and has about 10 XJs. The one I have my eye on is a teal 2 door 93 4x4 automatic, and it looks great! The catch is, its missing the engine. Idk what all is missing from the truck, but hes willing to sell me a complete 99 xj (thats been rolled over) as well. The difference is that the 99 is a 4 door, and I dont recall if its a 4x4 or not. What herdles am I looking at? Can I swap everything over easily? I'm not overwhelmed with changing complete harnesses, but is it nore trouble than worth?

The 4.0 litre blocks in all Xj are interchangeable. The heads changed over the years. The 99 moter will work as a building block but you'll need the sensors and stuff from the 93. As well as fuel rail. Not all is lost. The 99 has the better intake as well as an updated power steering system and belt adjuster.

I would see if he has any other 96- xj's there tovget the needed parts. Maybe a few local people will be parting out a 96- to get the need parts to make the 99 moter work in the 93.
Also the 93 is supost to have a temp sender in the head for the interior gauge. The newer 99 has the temp sender in the t-stat housing. I believe the trans will work with the older but not sure. Juts make sure you get the matching t-case. Input spline count changed over the years. Also you'll need 4*4 trani as the output shafts is shorter than a 4*2 trani.

Swap is possible but a lot of work.

Ugh. Trying to rebuild a partly parted out car can be a nightmare. I've Tried it a few times. Those projects always became headaches trying to hunt down nothing part nobody need except when you put it back together.

If all it's missing is the engine it's relatively simple, if the electric harnesses are intact. Problem with the 99 donor is its completely different sensors, senders, computers, harnesses. The body and engine harnesses were redesigned 1997, it would be very hard to make them work in a 93.

Now the mechanical interchanges better. Still with issues like transmission plugs and such.

Dragonlich1961 gave some good advice. If your going to rebuild the 93 try to find a closer year donor.
If you just need a motor and maybe a few other parts the 99 might be ok. Still with the issues in the previous post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome advice. I'll keep my eyes peeled on craigslist and around his yard for a 96- jeep to be the donor vehicle. I totally agree that rebuilding a parted out jeep can be a nightmare, and IIRC the 99 wasnt a 4x4, thats why I wasnt going to just use that and rebuild the roof line and windshield area as well. The 2 door is in good shape, and the shorter wheel base would be better for my property (swamp areas and mud) and also at the beach in Cape Hatteras, but if its going to be a full year of nightmares and work, I'll pass.
I dont think the 99 had a t-case, but if the motors were interchangeable, maybe I could get all the good usable parts off it, and find a clean 96 motor for the foundation of this monster. Being new to XJs, is there a certain year or model I should look out for? Or steer clear of? He's seriously got 25 + acres of cars. Sadly no parts fr my CJ2A.

Awesome advice. I'll keep my eyes peeled on craigslist and around his yard for a 96- jeep to be the donor vehicle. I totally agree that rebuilding a parted out jeep can be a nightmare, and IIRC the 99 wasnt a 4x4, thats why I wasnt going to just use that and rebuild the roof line and windshield area as well. The 2 door is in good shape, and the shorter wheel base would be better for my property (swamp areas and mud) and also at the beach in Cape Hatteras, but if its going to be a full year of nightmares and work, I'll pass.
I dont think the 99 had a t-case, but if the motors were interchangeable, maybe I could get all the good usable parts off it, and find a clean 96 motor for the foundation of this monster. Being new to XJs, is there a certain year or model I should look out for? Or steer clear of? He's seriously got 25 + acres of cars. Sadly no parts fr my CJ2A.

'92-'95 would be your simplest options-- they'd have fewer oddities that can become headaches.

wheelbase on the two door is the same as the four door-- longer doors and longer rear windows made up the extra length.

'92-'95 would be your simplest options-- they'd have fewer oddities that can become headaches.

wheelbase on the two door is the same as the four door-- longer doors and longer rear windows made up the extra length.

Well I'll be. Ill just be on the look out for a complete 4 door, or maybe a wrecked mid 90s.
Thanks yall! I'll keep everyone posted on which one I get.

yeah the 92-95 would be better because in 96 they went to obd2 plus the gauges are PCI and work differently

yeah the 92-95 would be better because in 96 they went to obd2 plus the gauges are PCI and work differently

Just talked to my guy, I'm picking up the 93 two door teal 4x4. I'm so excited, I could burn my neighbors house down! I told him to seal the deal, he'd have to find me a good engine.

If he can find you an engine and trani 4*4 then consider your self lucky. Two doors are harder to find. And finding a in good shape 96- body is tougher as well. I love my 94 2dr.

If you have no trani now would be the time to swap to what style you want. You have options of either an auto or a 5speed manual. A lot of people consider a 2dr 5speed a holy grail.

Best of luck to you.

you don't have to mess with harnesses, just move the iron over and install the sensors, injectors, ignition, and other electronics for your chassis onto it

transmissions are era dependant since the solenoid connectors are era specific

If he can find you an engine and trani 4*4 then consider your self lucky. Two doors are harder to find. And finding a in good shape 96- body is tougher as well. I love my 94 2dr.

If you have no trani now would be the time to swap to what style you want. You have options of either an auto or a 5speed manual. A lot of people consider a 2dr 5speed a holy grail.

Best of luck to you.

It has an automatic transmission in it currently. My fiancée doesn't know how to drive a stick shift yet, but my much much older cj2a is a 3 speed. Maybe I'll convert the xj one day, but for now, i want to get something to drive other than my land rover, it could use some repairs for sure. Who knows, I might love this xj so much, I might get another one, or six.

It's an addiction you'll never get rid of.

So he's pulling the jeep out of the yard today, I dont have a trailer, he offered his tow dolly. Can I tow the jeep behind the rover if the t-case is in neutral? Ive done some homework on the matter and some say yes and some say pull the driveshaft

Curious why you just did not buy one that is complete and needs repairs, off of Craigs list. I bought my last 2 XJs for $450, and one only needed a new brake master cylinder. Soon needed an axle shaft bearing and battery...but at least it was all in one piece and running when I bought it. The other we got running with an oil change and new fuel pump.

Curious why you just did not buy one that is complete and needs repairs, off of Craigs list. I bought my last 2 XJs for $450, and one only needed a new brake master cylinder. Soon needed an axle shaft bearing and battery...but at least it was all in one piece and running when I bought it. The other we got running with an oil change and new fuel pump.

I didnt see a clean two door in my price range right now. Also, he has so much cool stuff there, I'd rather buy from him instead of running around VA looking for parts. The one thats complete and that needs repairs was a total roll over, and also a 2x4. If vhanging out a front diff and tcase and linkage wasnt such a headache, id go that route. But the two door is a fun girly color, and I've already married to the idea of it pulling the jetskis to the beach. Once its running of course. I'm sure I'll find a great deal on a much newer 4x4 XJ, but in the meantime, I'll grab this one up and hopefully get her running before it gets too cold in Hatteras.

So before pulling the trigger yesterday, I spent the better part of an hour looking throughout the new xj. It seemed like most of the fuses were pulled from the interior fuse block, and I couldnt find the hood latch release. The wiring harness was not cut thankfully, it had the straight six in it, and as far as I can tell, they did a decent job of removing the motor. interior is in decent shape, moldy dash and door panels, but what can you do. I set off a bug bomb in it yesterday, so we'll see how good it looks this afternoon when I get off work. Its definitely a project, but I am really excited about it. Bwhen we were towong it out of the 70 acre junk yard, the rear driveshaft came loose and started banging around, so we pulled it which made towing it home less worry some.

Can anyone suggest where to start first? Pull the trans and double check its okay too?

When I get the new motor (new to me) I'll be dropping it off at a machine shop so they can tear it down, wash, heat tank, and mic check everything. I'll have them order the right enging rebuild kit so I can start with a fresh foundation and not have to worry about throwing a rod 5 hours from my place. I almost ordered the kit last night, but stopped since I wasnt aure what size the pistons would be in the new motor, or if they'd have to be bored out.

Good call on the rebuild kit. Have them do some head work while there at it. Just clean up the valves install new seals. Also throw some new wear parts at. New oil pump timing set and water pump. If the balancer us bad then replace with a new one. Real seal everything while your at it.

Doing so will ensure you have an engine that will easily last 200k. Some 4.0 have been know to reach 300k.

Buy a factory service manual. It will help with wiring and fuses. As well as the engine rebuild.

As for the interior, you'd be surprised how much will clean up with Dawn dish soap and a nylon scrub brush.

Good call on the rebuild kit. Have them do some head work while there at it. Just clean up the valves install new seals. Also throw some new wear parts at. New oil pump timing set and water pump. If the balancer us bad then replace with a new one. Real seal everything while your at it.

Doing so will ensure you have an engine that will easily last 200k. Some 4.0 have been know to reach 300k.

Buy a factory service manual. It will help with wiring and fuses. As well as the engine rebuild.

As for the interior, you'd be surprised how much will clean up with Dawn dish soap and a nylon scrub brush.

Thats the plan. I'd liketo srart off with basically a new motor. Replace everything, and if the truck rolls over, gets hit, I'll be able to take out the drive train and put it into a new body

Yep. When I scrapped my last 2dr because some a-hole tbone me and ran. I kept everything good. Spare engine(2007 reman with ~ 35k) ,trani t-case door( other has totaled) hood hatch. Spare spares are awesome.

Have you figured out what you are doing about the missing bits that have to match your year range.( fuel rail and sensors.)

Yep. When I scrapped my last 2dr because some a-hole tbone me and ran. I kept everything good. Spare engine(2007 reman with ~ 35k) ,trani t-case door( other has totaled) hood hatch. Spare spares are awesome.

Have you figured out what you are doing about the missing bits that have to match your year range.( fuel rail and sensors.)

I cleaned rhe inside of the jeep out after I got home from work last night, found a crap ton of bolts, nuts, two intake manifolds, starter, A/C compressor, front grill, and the radiator cap ends. For everything else (and just for reference) I'll find a wrecked jeep, or one with a bad trans ot use as a parts truck. I'd like to find someones upgraded trail rig what has a few goodies on it but if I cant, then Ill take what I can get. Its a shame though about the 97+ not matching up parts wise, I'd have a heck of a lot easier time.

Back