• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to NAXJA and an emergency brake button repair

chemsolder

NAXJA Forum User
Well I grabbed an XJ up on Monday evening and it is a true project for sure. Good news is it doesn't throw any nasty engine codes bad news is it leaks a little oil. First things first I have to get it to pass inspection and get her titled...

Job one is the emergency brake so Here is my solution.

The button came off and who knows where the spring is...

So a simple steel collar with a set screw a spring and a washer, all appropriately sized...1/4" on the collar the spring was out of a worn out Yamaha pw80 carb and a washer from the parts bin.

Put the washer on then the spring put some tension on it and tighten the collar down with the set screw. The washer keeps the spring from sliding into the slot. This is functional now but not comfortable.

notice the button wont fit back but with a bit of dremel work and a bit of epoxy it will be good to go.

I hope this helps some, lurking here sure has some good ideas in my head!

Nice quick fix. I recently failed inspection because I switched out my side markers and parking lights for clear lenses and the bulbs weren't amber color. $10 and a trip down the street to O'Reillys and half an hour later I return and they gave me the sticker. They asked $50 to fix it.

Oh and clean your car!

My parking brake button shot off the other day. I didn't even think about that, but I picked up the complete parking brake assembly from pick-a -part.

Back