• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS issue

foreman05

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a new to me 97 xj. I bought it with a brake problem the guy said it was most likely an abs issue. I have no issues stopping but SOMETIMES when i get to about 5 mph i hear the brakes in the front start ratcheting and i feel it in the pedal also. the ABS dash light is hit or miss on when it wants to come on. Im wondering if anyone has had an issue like this that could steer me in a direction. I was thinking about replacing the wheel speed sensors but i guess there are 4 of them and the fronts are $100 each!

It is always cheaper and easier to diagnose the fault and buy the right repair parts than to throw random new parts at an unknown problem and hope you accidentally fix something.

Have you inspected the ABS sensors and their wires for damage or corrosion ? Have you checked the air-gap on the sensors ? Is ABS necessary, it can be deactivated.

My audi had this problem when the abs sensors were dirty. Personally I found an xj without abs on purpose. Especially early versions of abs, it's just more trouble than its worth.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

If one brake is trying to grab it can cause ABS pulse even when the vehicle is moving.

The quick test is to come to a moderate stop with your hands off the steering wheel and see what happens.

I've had the sensor mounts bend a little and screw up my air gap before. I've even had a sensor contact to pulse ring.

My ABS now sometimes kicks in way early. The last set of semi metalic pads I installed tends to grab, upsets the ABS.

Back