• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can't decide what to do guys...Build ?'s.

Mr.Smith

NAXJA Forum User
Little back story. I am a fairly new paid member but I have been on the site for a little while now. I recently sold one cherokee and purchased another. It just so happened the one I sold was to a friend and we have been working on a RC 4.5 LA lift install a little at a time for a few months along with ruff stuff frame stiffeners. We are almost done with his. Fast forward to my jeep....

I have a 97 and am battling myself for what I want to do with it. I originally intended to just purchase a 6.5" 3 link from Clayton, install my frame stiffeners, a front truss, 4.56's, 35's, lockers...etc, and wheel the shit out of it. Now however, after installing the RC, I don't know that I want to wheel the 30/8.25 combo, and spend money to repair them nor do I feel like I want to be at 6.5" of lift.

So I got to thinking about just going tons 60/14(shaved) or 60/HO52(w/locker)and building my own low COG 3 link with the help of the good folks at Ruff Stuff and others, going with ORI STX struts up front, 38's, and 2x6 rockers with boats, hydro assist and fully plated.......the problem I run into is that I have been waiting to build a cherokee for a LONG time now and feel like if I go all out its going to be that much longer before I get on the trails.

I also have one more option, I know where a 44/60 combo is with 5.38's and a locker.

I have a little more change to gather before I am ready to pull the trigger, but I have parts lined up from all options, just gotta pull the trigger on which one to do and commit to it. I have not built a suspension before but the fab work is well within my knowledge base of skills & really the only thing I don't have is a tube bender if I decide to go exo. I know I left a lot out, and I still have questions about a 1 ton build I haven't been able to answer via the search button, but I need some guidance from you all which have and wish you hadn't/glad you did, or haven't and wish you had. Thanks to all, I appreciate it.

Kind of depends what kind of wheeling you want to do. I've been all over the South with a 5" rig on 31/32" tires and lunchbox lockers. I have zero fab skills but have been able to do 95% of my own work to get where I am now from stock.

It really depends on what you can afford and handle up front and how much time you have to commit to the build. Don't forget that your time and effort is worth something, too.

If I had it all to do over, I'd skip a step or two in the inevitable progression.

Over about 7 years, I did stock axles first w/ 33s. I did swap a 8.25 in for the 35. Then built a 3 link with 3/4 ton hp44 FF60 swap and 35s. Then did the main cage and a chop&dove, then did full hydro, then pulled the doors and more cage and 38s, then killed the 44 and built a ton front 60.

I did it in stages mostly because I kept thinking that was as far as I wanted to go, but always had the itch to go bigger. I'm already irritated I bought 38s to accommodate my 3/4 ton axle that is now gone after 2 trips on the new meats. I should have bought 4Ds! (See the addiction growing)

If you are already thinking 38s don't fool yourself into a lesser build IF you can afford to do the right build first. If you are wanting big tires, ORIs and the rest of the big build stuff, at least skip the 1/2-3/4 ton axles and do the tons. You will save money and time in the long run.

If you have limited time, buy the Clayton kit and adapt it to the axles you choose. 6.5" on 38s is still pretty low if you want it to flex. You are going to do a lot of cutting to stuff those tires (and turn them).

I wish I could have 2 of the XJs. I love playing with the jeep as it is now (more like a buggy) and not caring about body work. But I wish I still had a full bodied rig on 35s. They both have their benefits.

I never could have afforded to do everything in one big step, so I get doing it in stages. Just try to have a master plan and find ways to phase the build you really want.

One more thing....

I assume by what you are thinking of building, that you don't plan on relying in the XJ for transportation???

Once you step up to 38s+ and the trails you will probably want to do with that big of a tire, I'd consider looking for a trailer, too.

How much $$ are you ready to burn? If you don't have the time to build would you want to buy someone's rig that is already built or are you dead set on building your jeep? I see XJs built for sale every now and then that are decently priced given people have built tons for it and the suspension is all set as well.

For example Jeep For $6000

Thanks for the replies guys. As you all are probably aware, here in KY the type of wheeling you're doing depends on which trail direction you take, one leads to a mud hole and the other to a hill of rock, and everything in between. I will never be a rock bouncer so to speak, but the inevitable encounter with a large rock bed is a definite, and I will happily accommodate the challenge.

While I haven't had my own built cherokee, I have been wheeling them for years, and you are correct, the biggest tire cherokee we have ran is on 33's.

As far as the money goes, I have a couple of good leads which are going to afford me tons pretty cheap, and I like to work on them so yeah my intention would be to do the build myself, enjoy it and save the money of having a couple of good cheap purchases to help me. I do look around for a built cherokee on the daily, if I found just the right one I would hop on it.

I already have a diesel truck and trailer to haul with, and a spare set of 8 lug wheels sitting in the shop. I may do the clayton for what I have now just to get started and then swap out axles this winter when there is some downtime. There are just so many options.

Just buy a well built rig, throw it on your trailer, and go wheeling.

Buying a complete rig is usually a LOT cheaper than building your own ... sometimes a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER.

And you will always have plenty of upgrades/repairs/adjustments to keep you busy in the garage.

Oh, and if you plan to wheel the crap out of it .... have a separate DD.

I just like building things to be honest, but I am not against buying one either, I just don't always trust the abilities of folks who aren't true gear heads. It is not my DD and never has been so I don't have to worry about that. I will have to start checking the classifieds to see what is out there, and if the time comes where I find what I am looking for or the parts fall in my lap, I'll decide then.

I just like building things to be honest, but I am not against buying one either, I just don't always trust the abilities of folks who aren't true gear heads. It is not my DD and never has been so I don't have to worry about that. I will have to start checking the classifieds to see what is out there, and if the time comes where I find what I am looking for or the parts fall in my lap, I'll decide then.

I'm with you on that one. I'd rather start with a cheap stocker and build it myself, my way (that's what I did). Honestly, the fabrication is most of the fun for me. (Mostly because I don't get out on the trail enough!) Sometimes built rigs are abused rigs and cheap built rigs usually have some things going on that make them cheap. If you find the right jeep, it might be worth it, but you never know.... I find it is usually easy enough to find deals on parts. I think my wife is getting sick of the "deals" I find!

Good luck whatever you choose.

I guarantee my wife is tired of the deals, but I only have $500 bucks in mine and I already have a nice bumper, winch, frame stiffeners, 15x10 wheels, and a few other things. And did I mention it only has 106k on it. Its hard to find a cherokee with low miles anymore.

I really do appreciate all the outside input, sometimes it is just better to hear from other folks. I will continue to keep my eyes open for a deal, but I may lean more towards lifting mine for now and worry bout tons later.

Back