• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ intermittent front fuel line leak

shmicah

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ 4.0 Automatic
Hi All,

Few days ago I replaced my distributor and the jeep ran fine.

The next day I started it back up and instantly smelled gasoline. Went up to the hood and noticed gas dripping from the fuel line under the intake manifold. It seems to be dripping right at a bracket or something where the line attaches to the intake manifold.

Said screw it, used the other car. Next day I came out, fired the engine up and no leak. Revved the engine, still no leak. Started/stopped it a few times, no leak.

Next day, I cleaned the throttle body/IAC/etc and put in brand new fuel injectors (4-hole style). I inspected each fuel injector very thoroughly for leaks and saw nothing. Drive it about 45 minutes both on and off highway, and never a leak.

Start it up today, drive about 2 miles and suddenly start smelling gas. Like it was a very instant sense of it. Check under the hood, and its dripping in the same spot.

I've already googled and found a thread about a similar issue, but they mainly only talked about where to find the part. Thread recommended this and I called local dealers and they agreed this fits the 99XJ:
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/BUNDLE-Fuel-Line/4584669/52100349AB.html

My question is - Any other areas I should be looking for? Is the leak typically a split in the fuel line, or a bad o-ring? Since the gas seems to be dripping at a low point on the intake, I feel it could also be coming from somewhere else. I plan to replace the fuel line regardless, but while I'm in there I'd appreciate any tips on other areas to inspect/fix.

That part should do it, I imagine it is the connection from that fuel line to the fuel rail. Unless the fuel rail is leaking or the injectors are leaking, then this is the culprit. If I remember correctly it has mounting points for support on the intake and trans bellhousing and connects to the main fuel line on the drivers side inner frame near the control arm mount. And yes they have O-rings in them, but I would replace the whole line.

Back