• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ive got a short =(

Antsjeep

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have a 96 xj, 4.0, 5 speed, np231 with lots of goodies but thats not what im hear about.
ok so i can start the jeep with the alternators ground disconnected, but if i connect the ground i get sparks what i try to install the battery. so i had the alternator checked and its good. i think im correct to assume that the fuses are good since i can start her. im at loss on this one, any help would be appreciated

gotta post pics of the wire and where you are trying to attach it. there isn't a separate ground wire from the factory. It's part of the alt rear connector.

ok so im not sure why ive been referring to it as the the alternator ground :dunno:
i did disconnect it originally when installing the new alt, ill run with that

this jeep did have a jolt from when a battery almost got installed backwards. it ran for about a month before the alternator locked up.

That's not a ground. That is someones upgraded Alternator Batt + wire. Connect it to the batt stud on the alty

so i got it running now. i had assumed that since the cable was black that it was a ground. here is where i attached it
PicsArt_1456778654989_zps0noaaod7.jpg

here is my Q now. i replaced this inline fuse after finding it was blown. this is my short. after i disconnected it is when i was able to start the jeep, dose this make sense
PicsArt_1456778698112_zpszoohmn4e.jpg

ok i got it all figured out. i had the alt ground connected to the alt power. then i had the both of them on the alt power then i realized what the $#@^ i was doing and reconnected it all correctly. i took this alternator off 6 months ago and forgot how it got wired up, i wont make that mistake again. i dont think i would of figured this out without ur help Digger thank u

Back