• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3L LS swap

DDecker

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 Comanche I'm wanting to put a 5.3L in it. It has an aw4 transmission in it and I really didn't want to swap the transmission to. Was wondering if anybody swapped a 5.3 in a Cherokee or Comanche with the stock transmission. Looking to see what all is needed to do the complete swap.

I have a 91 Comanche I'm wanting to put a 5.3L in it. It has an aw4 transmission in it and I really didn't want to swap the transmission to. Was wondering if anybody swapped a 5.3 in a Cherokee or Comanche with the stock transmission. Looking to see what all is needed to do the complete swap.

Not recommended to use the AW4, it cant handle the power/torque.

As for what you need, if you have to ask you haven't done your proper research. Come back when you're asking specific questions.

-The guy who's in the middle of a 5.3 swap

i dont understand the want to keep the stock auto.

you are already going to be setting up new engine mounts, wiring, exhaust, etc etc etc, what is the difference in setting up a trans mount and a shifter linkage?

especially if you do a 4l6xe trans since the options out there are plentiful and advanced adapters makes a 4l6xe to np231 adapter.

granted as someone who has dealt with 4l60e problems (in my wifes GTO), id rather run a TH350/400 behind the LS motor whenever i get around to swapping my XJ. had too many issues with the relatively weak 4l65e.

check out novack's website, they explain why this is a terrible idea.

If you're dropping in an LS motor, just get a 700r4, they're dirt cheap.

This is, by the way, not a swap that you just drop in -- it takes time, effort, money, and a lot of research. I highly recommend you do a lot more of the last item. Novack's site, especially their run down of the most common motors/transmission/xfer cases, is a great place to start.

check out novack's website, they explain why this is a terrible idea.

If you're dropping in an LS motor, just get a 700r4, they're dirt cheap.

This is, by the way, not a swap that you just drop in -- it takes time, effort, money, and a lot of research. I highly recommend you do a lot more of the last item. Novack's site, especially their run down of the most common motors/transmission/xfer cases, is a great place to start.
Yea, you need lots of that...

Not recommended to use the AW4, it cant handle the power/torque.

As for what you need, if you have to ask you haven't done your proper research. Come back when you're asking specific questions.

-The guy who's in the middle of a 5.3 swap
I disagree with the bolded statement. The AW4 is a variant of the A340 ( I think that's the model) that was used being the TT Supra. A old, potentially worn out AW4, maybe not. There's an AW4 behind the Russ P built stroker in the Team Naxja 4643 heep, and there's much more TQ than a factory 4.0. I believe Russ P's personal heep, is AW4 equipped as well.

I personally would like to see someone swap in a 6L80E with an LS based engine in an XJ/MJ.

Back