• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 TC shifting in 2 wheel drive problems

Kycherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the home stretch of a multi-week project on my heap. I have changed out my axle for a LSD which has new clutches and bearings. I have done rust repair and some prevention.

I also found a JY 242 TC which I put a Novak rebuild kit with new bearings and chain.The shift forks looked fine and I also changed shifters so mine now has a 242 shifter.

I bench tested and everything worked well with easy shifting between the modes.

The jeep is on jack stands. I have adjusted the shifter multiple times now with the TC in 4 low and moving the shifter to the correct position. With the jeep running the TC will shift into all modes but will not shift into 2wd although neutral does not seem to be in the correct position. I do not know if it is because it is in the air or if it is in the adjustment of the shifter or something internal.

Opinion and suggestions are very welcomed.

The 242 tcase linkage has to be adjusted perfectly in order to get both 2hi and 4lo. I eventually used a dremel to grind the front and back of the shifter gates a little longer so that I could reliably get both.

I have always had to slam mine into 2wd, even after cutting the gates. It can also take a few hundred feet for the case to actually disengage 4wd.

Been my experience the more you use it the better it gets (on multiple XJ's). One of those things you have to exercise on a regular basis for it to work right.

Two things that usually work for me is shifting to 2wd as I'm coming to a stop. If I get it at just the right moment is shifts nice.

If it really gets obstinate, shifting to reverse, backing, letting it coast to a stop, then shifting to drive a few times usually always works. Or shifting the transmission to neutral then back into drive at low speed.

I don't know what to say about transfer neutral. I most always have to hunt for it a bit, I rarely use it for anything.

My best guess is it shifts better when the drive train is loaded or unloaded in a certain way and finding that magic combination can sometimes just be luck.

Most of my issues have been when I haven't shifted the transfer for a long time and/or when it is really cold out.

If it works on the bench and not on the car, then the linkage is out of adjustment

Try to get neutral in the right place, then make sure you can go all the way forward and backwards. You'll need to notch the ends of the shift gate in the floorboard to make it work consistently all the time.

boostwerksengineering.com has an aftermarket shift linkage that simplifies the setup considerably, highly recommended

boostwerksengineering.com has an aftermarket shift linkage that simplifies the setup considerably, highly recommended

X2 Boostwerk's linkeagr is really great. I installed one on mine after the original linkage failed 4 times and I got stuck in 4 low.

Thanks to everyone! I have just a bit more to do before coming off the stands. Since it does go into 4 wd full time I am going to just drive it and see if some miles will "loosen" it up a bit to shift into 2 wd.

I would like to change shifters but I have spent my budget on what I have done so far and while understanding and somewhat indulgent, my wife has suggested that I have spent enough on a 15 year old jeep.

Back