• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Engine tick/knock

bamajosh

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ya'll, my 2000 XJ started making a ticking/knocking sound a few weeks back. It almost sounds like a real bad exhaust leak but I am not 100% sure. The Jeep has 225k miles on it. Please help me diagnose this. If it is exhaust leak, I can fix it easy. If it is the motor then I need to start deciding on what to do. Either rebuild, stroke it, or V8 swap.

I have not noticed any loss in power.

Here is a link to a youtube video I took of it this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld91gIEz-Ok

If it's automatic transmission check the bolts for the torque converter. Our 92 had a odd knock only at certain rpms because the converter bolts came lose. Sounded something like that but intermittent.

If it were exhaust leak I think you'd see where it was cracked at.

It sounds a little too pronounced to be an exhaust leak to me, but it's very hard to diagnose a tick from just a video. A short section of hose (household water hose or car heater hose or something like that) about 2-3ft long can be used against your ear to 'feel' around and see if you can isolate the noise. Of course be careful around the accessory belts, fan etc.

It sounds a little too pronounced to be an exhaust leak to me, but it's very hard to diagnose a tick from just a video. A short section of hose (household water hose or car heater hose or something like that) about 2-3ft long can be used against your ear to 'feel' around and see if you can isolate the noise. Of course be careful around the accessory belts, fan etc.

My feel from that video was its not exhaust related. But it's hard to diagnose when you are standing right there let alone thousands of miles away watching a video.
If the exhausts is cracked it ought to be visible to inspection.

2000-2001 have a two piece exhaust manifold that doesn't crack like the earlier style. I would be inclined to check the flex plate.

Checked the flex plate last night and the bolt were tight. I went ahead and pulled them one by one and loctite'd them put them back. Still makes the same sound.

So I am leaning towards lifter/lifters.

So should I be thinking about a topend a rebuild?

Checked the flex plate last night and the bolt were tight. I went ahead and pulled them one by one and loctite'd them put them back. Still makes the same sound.

So I am leaning towards lifter/lifters.

So should I be thinking about a topend a rebuild?

Sorry. I had hoped it was something simpler.
I'd think maybe the fastest way is with with a cylinder head swap. But I'm sure someone who's done this before will chime in with the right instructions.

Sorry. I had hoped it was something simpler.
I'd think maybe the fastest way is with with a cylinder head swap. But I'm sure someone who's done this before will chime in with the right instructions.

I am gonna pull the valve cover tomorrow and check to see if anything is loose. Someone on another forum mentioned that their 2000 XJ made a similar noise and it was a broken piston skirt. They said that Chrysler made the skirts thinner starting in 2000??

I have a 2001 Cherokee that I have had since new. At about 60K miles the engine started to make a noise similar to a clacking sound. Its not super loud, but noticeable. The best way to describe it is that it sounds almost like the older diesel engines. I went through a myriad of items inside and out trying to track down what it was, including most of the issues that are regularly mentioned here. I never really found the issue. Power and performance were never affected. One day, quite a few years back, I was talking to a Jeep friend at a Jeep dealer and told him about it. He said that he had heard about 'that 4 liter diesel sound' from others, as well. He went and got an old guy from in back. Turns out this old guy used to work at an AMC shop way back before Chrysler took over. He said he had heard off and on stories of the same damn noise coming from not only the 4 liter engines, but also from the 4.2 liter engines which were made in the years before the 4 liter came to be. Mechanics always attributed the noise to loose tolerances in the engine, as compared to others. He stated that years back, it was explained to him that the 4.2 liter engine, and later the 4 liter engines, were never designed as a high quality, tightly built engine. Looser tolerances allowed for faster machining, and therefore faster assembly at the engine plants. And much of the dimensions and tolerances of these engines have not changed over all these years, they have quite an interesting history if you get to reading about their begining. The engines ran well and appeared to be tough, but some of them, after acquiring some miles, started to chatter. But it never turned into anything serious. They can just be noisy engines sometimes. Im not saying there ISNT anything wrong with your engine, there may be and it would be wise to do a thorough investigation. But after doing my investigation years back, covering almost every aspect you could think of, the sound is still there. But my engine is also up to around 220K miles now, and still runs really damn well. And Im not exactly easy on the 'ol girl either. All's I do when the topic comes up or someone asks about the noise, is shrug my shoulders and say that it runs great!

I have a 2001 Cherokee that I have had since new. At about 60K miles the engine started to make a noise similar to a clacking sound. Its not super loud, but noticeable. The best way to describe it is that it sounds almost like the older diesel engines. I went through a myriad of items inside and out trying to track down what it was, including most of the issues that are regularly mentioned here. I never really found the issue. Power and performance were never affected. One day, quite a few years back, I was talking to a Jeep friend at a Jeep dealer and told him about it. He said that he had heard about 'that 4 liter diesel sound' from others, as well. He went and got an old guy from in back. Turns out this old guy used to work at an AMC shop way back before Chrysler took over. He said he had heard off and on stories of the same damn noise coming from not only the 4 liter engines, but also from the 4.2 liter engines which were made in the years before the 4 liter came to be. Mechanics always attributed the noise to loose tolerances in the engine, as compared to others. He stated that years back, it was explained to him that the 4.2 liter engine, and later the 4 liter engines, were never designed as a high quality, tightly built engine. Looser tolerances allowed for faster machining, and therefore faster assembly at the engine plants. And much of the dimensions and tolerances of these engines have not changed over all these years, they have quite an interesting history if you get to reading about their begining. The engines ran well and appeared to be tough, but some of them, after acquiring some miles, started to chatter. But it never turned into anything serious. They can just be noisy engines sometimes. Im not saying there ISNT anything wrong with your engine, there may be and it would be wise to do a thorough investigation. But after doing my investigation years back, covering almost every aspect you could think of, the sound is still there. But my engine is also up to around 220K miles now, and still runs really damn well. And Im not exactly easy on the 'ol girl either. All's I do when the topic comes up or someone asks about the noise, is shrug my shoulders and say that it runs great!
That's exactly how mine sounds. 260k and runs like a top. The diesel clatter is annoying and sometimes a little embarrassing but it runs too well for me to care

That's exactly how mine sounds. 260k and runs like a top. The diesel clatter is annoying and sometimes a little embarrassing but it runs too well for me to care

In 1994 I purchased a Brand New Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0, It started sounding like a diesel almost immediately, I sold it in 2000 to a buddy @ work who, a few years later, sold it to another guy at work, It still runs fine @ 300K+ & still sounds like a Diesel!
The 4.0 is a very noisy racket making engine!

Back