• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Tank-Increased Fuel Capacity

bline

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced the gas tank in my 96 XJ with a Platinum Pro FTK010024 from RockAuto. There was ~3.5 gallons of fuel left in my old leaking tank that I transferred to the new tank. Filled it up today and it took another 22 gallons. Curious to see how many miles I can get out of a tank of fuel now...

Will do. I have a road trip at end the month. Hopefully it wasn't a faulty pump at the gas station.

Interesting. Took a while to find it, states 20 gallon. Any chance you could measure the new and old tanks to see if there is any difference? An inch taller or longer (or both) would make a difference.
Oddly RA doesn't list a tank for my 01. :/

Vewy Intewesting...

Hmmm

Do follow up with what you find.

It is interesting that Rock Auto gives the exact same size for both the 13 gallon and the 20 gallon.

As I remember it there was a trick some guys used to do with the old metal tanks (I believe the 97 up were plastic , might be wrong) to get more than 20 gallons in them. I believe the tanks them selves were bigger than 20, but the way the baffles of something were arranged to allow a certain amount of air even when full kept capacity at 20. It was something fairly simple but I can't remember what it was.

I doubt the new tank is different in its dimensions, just because all the existing hardware and hangers would need to be swapped as well, but not impossible. I'll try to find the old tank hack when I get to a pc

The RockAuto dimensions are 33 5/8 x 20 3/4 x 13. The L & W are to the flange around the perimeter of the tank. The OEM tank measures 33 5/8 x 20 3/4 x 12. The new tank measures 33 x 20 1/2 x 13 1/2. Ignoring that the L & W are to the flange and treating the measurements as a box, total additional volume would be ~3 gallons.

Here is a link to what I was talking about.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm

All the aftermarket tanks list the same dimensions, but if they fudge the numbers close enough to OEM it would still fit the factory hardware.

But as I understood it the tanks 86-96 were never truly 20 gallon tanks, they could always fit more if done right.

EDIT BTW I see other aftermarket tank review that say they have more capacity than OEM.

It looks like the aftermarket (spectra & Dornan too) tanks are close to oem specs but slightly bigger as you've measured.

I missed ehall's write up, I usually come back here I'm looking up info for my 85 Xj which none of the cool mods work on. Reviews at Amazon and other places have the same reports of bigger capacity which is cool.

Now I wonder if the new tank on my 85 will have the same mutant ability. I just got the sender gauge working again so I'll have to test it. But I have to say the old tank with some pretty big dents took 20 gallons anyway.

You didn't by chance look inside the new tank before you installed it? If the new tank is indeed dimensionally taller and if the vent tube is real short and near the top of the tank that would definitely account for the increased volume.

No, but thanks Mr. Helper.

Its dimensions are larger and I'm guessing all the aftermarket tanks are doing the same thing for the filler and vent.

Last edited:
They changed the vent to allow more fuel to get the 13 gallon tanks up to 20 gallons, so I have heard. I just installed a new spectra tank and I put a gallon of my saved gas in and barely made it a mile to the gas station to then fill it with 24 gallons. I wonder if the pickups require a couple gallons in reserve so even though you can initially put more than 20 gallons in it, during regular use, you only get 20 gallons of capacity. That or I need to mess with my pump since my gas gauge reads above full now for the first 80 miles or so.

I was able to put 21.5 gallons in it yesterday. I waited until the gauge read where it did when I did the first fill up on the new tank. Pretty happy with the extra range of the new tank.

Back