• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Sport Window regulator: info update; no response asked for

Jim D.

NAXJA Forum User
Just to update: the driver side window regulator failed in 2009. Steiger kit fixed it. Fast forward to now: Jan 2016. The passenger side window motor failed a year ago; ignored by me (who needs the passenger's window to go up and down?) as long as I could but finally decided to fix it. But in fixing it this week, a bad regulator became obvious. Steiger Performance kit just arrived. Looking forward to getting everything back to normal. Oh: bought our 1997 Sport, Up Country Suspension, no cruise control, 5 speed, locking rear diff...new. It spent 6 years in South America, accomplished the Rubicon Trail (albeit it with a bit of underside damage), and now has "only" 114,000 miles on it. Great vehicle.

I recently bought a one owner special ordered 1996 XJ. I wish he would have ordered it like yours with the trac-lok rear. Did you special order it? Very cool that you've had it that long and used it for some cool adventures. I work in Old Town Alexandria. Whereabouts are you?

Special ordered via Diplomatic Auto Sales back in 1997. Delivered at Biddulph Chrysler/Jeep in Phoenix, used a month in the USA then shipped to Bolivia. Thereafter: CA, Peru, VA, now back in CA. What I learned (e.g., 5 years in Ecuador with a 1987 Cherokee Pioneer) was absent a center locking transfer case (Land Rovers, for example) then 4WD is NOT really 4WD when the going gets slippery. You end up with one driving front wheel, and one driving rear wheel. At least with our Jeep's locking rear diff we have 3 wheel drive in the slippery stuff (2 rear; 1 front). Of course back then all was entirely mechanical. Today's 4WD - all wheel drive vehicles are much more sophisticated. Coincidentally, our Jeep was in Alexandria VA from 2006 until 2011. In SoCal since then. Just did the brakes. If inclined, please send me a private email...we "might" be either selling or giving away (to a family member?) ours fairly soon. Curious what you paid for yours. Thanks.

Just to update: the driver side window regulator failed in 2009. Steiger kit fixed it. Fast forward to now: Jan 2016. The passenger side window motor failed a year ago; ignored by me (who needs the passenger's window to go up and down?) as long as I could but finally decided to fix it. But in fixing it this week, a bad regulator became obvious. Steiger Performance kit just arrived. Looking forward to getting everything back to normal. Oh: bought our 1997 Sport, Up Country Suspension, no cruise control, 5 speed, locking rear diff...new. It spent 6 years in South America, accomplished the Rubicon Trail (albeit it with a bit of underside damage), and now has "only" 114,000 miles on it. Great vehicle.

What is a Steiger kit and
where can I get one.

Back