• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Question

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I've done my research and watched the bickering between the 8.25/D44/8.8 people here and on other forums for years. I'm tasked with making this decision once again for another Jeep. The 8.25 in my new project is beat to death with a rotted housing so I'd like to ditch it for something else instead of trying to fix it. I'd like acquire 4.10s in the process as this project is on 32's but will likely never see more then 33's. So my last Jeep on 35's had an 8.8 in it and it was a great axle yet hung low I thought even with that size tire. So here's my options currently..

There is a 4.10 8.25 close by me from a 99 XJ 4 banger with only 90k on it. This would be the easiest yet I'd probably disc brake it down the line making it the most expensive out of my 3 decisions

There's an 8.8 w 4.10s/disc's that's $75 cheaper then the above mentioned 8.25, I figure after some swap parts it would be about equal in price

Cheaper then both is a disc braked non Rubi TJ 44 with 4.10s that's piquing my interest but I know the 03 TJ 44s are more or less beefier D35s. After swap parts I'm still looking at a cheaper in the either of the above 2.

The money is not really my concern as they are all reasonably close to each other in that dept.

I guess what I really want to know is..

Would it be overkill and useless to 8.8 on XJ only planned for 32s/33s? I don't want to shave it...

Should the TJ Non Rubi 44 even be on my radar?

8.25's the easiest here..just go that route, right? :banghead:

8.8 is the best/easiest swap for a person that can weld ( or knows someone)it's the strongest out of the selection you mentioned above (even tho c-clip axle).

The 8.8 would leave you with more strength from stock form. The 8.25 is not bad for what it is but if at any time you want to go bigger it's a waste of money. The 44 is ok semi float is nice but if you go bigger tire size or wheel it hard it could use a truss. Personally I would rather have strength and plow a little dirt then have any concerns.

I know an 8.8 is arguably the best/strongest of the 3 but it will sit ridiculously low on 32s will it not?

I have an 8.8 on 265 75/16s. I have 9 1/2" clearance with the tires at street driving PSI.

In comparison, my D30 has 10 1/2" clearance.

Do a good job of tire placement on the trail and the diff height shouldn't be a huge issue. :cheers:

I've seen reports of adding discs to an 8.25 only costing around $70. Still be easier and quicker than having to fab an 8.8. If you are expecting to need to rotate the perches on either, than I'd go with 8.8, though.

I know an 8.8 is arguably the best/strongest of the 3 but it will sit ridiculously low on 32s will it not?

I ran one on 31's and never had an issue

Back