• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket fuel pump -- crazy loud?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
replaced stock pump with an aftermarket pump--tried two different brands, one from jeggs, one from summit, both are crazy loud.

both seemed to be pumping an impressive volume of fuel (I'm installing a terminator EFI on the 350 in my Cherokee, and don't have the computer or fuel pressure sensor installed yet), and ran them for minutes without a hitch, but my god they're loud... is there something wrong with this unit?
The video makes it seem louder than it is, b/c I'm right near the pump... The pump is loud enough to hear in the cab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC5Z69HIf_0

Aftermarket pumps are loud. Simple as that really. The new AEM and Aeromotive stealth pumps are impressively quiet however. I have the AEM and don't notice it at all at idle.

OK, thanks. Goal now is to just get this one-weekend-turned-three-month project running. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't abnormal -- I highly doubt that I'll be able to hear it over dual sidepipes/headers from my 350 :)))

I have a trickflow one on my car and it too is crazy loud. Once you start driving tho it kinda turns to white noise and isn't too bad. Best you can do is use rubber isolaters to minimize it.

all good to know. Thanks.

There is a rubber bushing on the bottom of the sending unit that fits into a guide hole in the bottom of the tank... if you miss the hole or the rubber bushing falls off, the pump won't be isolated from the tank and will be loud.

There is a rubber bushing on the bottom of the sending unit that fits into a guide hole in the bottom of the tank... if you miss the hole or the rubber bushing falls off, the pump won't be isolated from the tank and will be loud.

huh.
I know exactly what you're talking about -- how do I make sure the bushing gets into the hole? I kinda just shimmied the pump in and put the retainer ring back on--

hope and a prayer...

good god. How do you know if you actually get it in?
I may just live with the noise than try to monkey around with it. I haven't filled the tank yet, but as far as I can tell everything is in place and sealed tight, and I don't feel like screwing around with that again.

I'll fit funny if the bushing is there and you miss... you can still get the lock ring on but the sending unit will sit a little crooked and gap at the top. it feel springy when you try to make it flush to get the ring on.

Last edited:
Back