• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Duracell Ultra Platinum and X2Power AGM Batteries

8lugnuts

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get a battery for my '07 WK. It still has the orig. factory Daimler-Chrysler battery and I can't believe it has lasted this long. I am familiar with the Optima's, have a yellow in my T-100, a red in my 4Runner and considering getting another one for my WK but last summer I bought a Duracell lawnmower battery for my John Deere at the local BatteriesPlus. I noticed they had deep cycle, high CCA AGM batteries like the Ultra Platinum and the X2Power. I can find no posts here about either of these two battery brands. If you have any experience with them I would like to know what it is. The X2Power has a 60mo. replacement warranty and I can get it for much less than the either the Duracell Ultra or the Optima.

8lugnuts

Not sure exactly how their warranty process works, but since it has a warranty worth a shot to attempt it I suppose.
I wouldn't waste time with a NEW Optima battery.
Also, do not know what their price point is, but any of your Local auto parts store AGM batteries will be made by East Penn.
I have an Interstate "Costco" battery in my XJ, was a replacement for the "Kirkland" (that I believe is made by Interstate, IIRC). Only time I have ever had an issue was due to my neglect, in times, of my XJ. But, a 3 year Warranty/"Customer Satisfaction" warranty works well.
I have an Optima Redtop in my MJ, circa 2008, was the price of a "core" battery at my old work. Basically, someone brought it in and it "tested bad" according to the store's battery tester. As I am sure you and other people know, DC and gel batteries do not take kindly to "fast charging" when they have be totally drained. I tossed it on the trickle charger at work and brought it back to life. The only reason I have an Optima.

I have heard mixed things recently about the Sears/Die Hard Plat. batteries. Some say they are no longer Odyssey batteries, other state that they still are.
The Die Hard AGM are probably/hopefully in line with the East Penn batteries.
I know for sure that the Carquest/AAP AGM batteries are made by East Penn and have an 'upgraded' wireframe technology inside. Not sure about the other store branded ones, other than made by East Penn.

Yikes! I did a search for the Odyssey battery on Amazon, $322.xx! The model number listed for my Grand is PC1220-A, which is a bit misleading since you would think it's CCA or MCA rating is 1220 amps. It's not, the spec shows only 680 CCA & 860 MCA; the X2 is 860 CCA and 1060 MCA and it's about $135 less than the Odyssey($239 -$30 MIR + I get another 10% discount through my job), there's a 10% pop-up coupon on their site as well. The Odyssey has a limited 3-4yr warranty(not sure what they mean by this) but either way it's warranty is 48mos. max whereas the X2 is 5yrs. One thing that's a little puzzling about the Odyssey is it weights almost 10lbs less than the X2.

looks like I'm going with the X2. Just called my local BatteriesPlus and they have one in stock.

8lugnuts

Last edited:
I Love my odyssey. Combined with a free flowing exhaust, the jeep starts up quicker than any other 4.0 ive ever heard. Its all about finding a good retailer, for the best price and warranty coverage should you need it.

They do play games with the whole cca/mca thing.

I think i would stay away from optimas after hearing QC issues since they are made in Mexico now.
I have an old red top thats showing its age and due for replacement (circa 2008)wow cant believe it lasted 8yrs.
And ill prob go with an odyssey

I think i would stay away from optimas after hearing QC issues since they are made in Mexico now.
I have an old red top thats showing its age and due for replacement (circa 2008)wow cant believe it lasted 8yrs.
And ill prob go with an odyssey

I do have one that I bought at Auto Zone in 2008 also. It still start the XJ but the turn over speed is getting slower by the day. With that many years of good service I am tempted to replace it with another Optima but the reliability questions/issue have gotten the better of me. I have to do this in a couple of months.

If you have time, toss it on a trickle charger/maintainer for a day or so.
If you do not have your own, pretty much every parts store offers free trickle charging.

I know it's not one of your choices, but I would suggest the Diehard AGM, made by odesey I believe.
Yes it is. They also have a much better warranty too. I am running the stock size, top / side posts, 850 CCA and I believe 135 reserve amps. So far so good but I've only had it for about 6 months.

It might be good to get some clarification on these Diehard AGM batteries. I am seeing a couple of options:

Gold: http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanced-gold-agm-battery-group-size-34r/p-02850733000P

Platinum: http://www.sears.com/diehard-platin...size-34-78dt-price/p-02851090000P?TecPara=41_

The Platinum would appear to be the Odyssey: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Electric...3zWCVP0q90rJSdbQPJkFmAmykzgl0azkQqRoCigfw_wcB

Given that my yellow top tried to leave me on the trail last year (and it only a year and a half old at the time) I am seriously contemplating a switch to Odyssey batteries. Availability of replacements is my hesitation. I was able to find a replacement yellow top on a Sunday afternoon, fairly close to the trail. I suspect I will not be able to do that with an Odyssey.

If you have time, toss it on a trickle charger/maintainer for a day or so.
If you do not have your own, pretty much every parts store offers free trickle charging.

It is on a trickle charge by way of a solar panel that have a maximum output of 1.6 AMP at 13 volts. That enabled me to leave the country for over 4 years and start and run the XJ without opening the hood. I do not drive the XJ often so the panel remains the battery maintenance source.

It is on a trickle charge by way of a solar panel that have a maximum output of 1.6 AMP at 13 volts. That enabled me to leave the country for over 4 years and start and run the XJ without opening the hood. I do not drive the XJ often so the panel remains the battery maintenance source.
If the operation of the starter has slowed, consider testing/replacing that before you up and replace the Red top.
Also, consider putting the battery on an actual charger/maintainer. Not saying that you are doing anything wrong, but that solar charger/maintainer may not be doing what it should efficiently.

If the operation of the starter has slowed, consider testing/replacing that before you up and replace the Red top.
Also, consider putting the battery on an actual charger/maintainer. Not saying that you are doing anything wrong, but that solar charger/maintainer may not be doing what it should efficiently.

Yea. I took it out and found it got oil impregnated when the filter adaptor was leaking plus plenty of oil saturated mud/sand from mud bathing in Florida mud holes. I may put it back in this weekend and see if it is better.

Back