• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj air bag interchange

micheldr

NAXJA Forum User
Recently got into a minor fender bender but it set my airbags off. The interchange the JYs use is saying the 97 driver airbag is different than the 98-01.

I know that the controller and clock spring are the same, wondering if the air bags are actually different?

97 xj, 4.0 auto, 3.5" 31" SYE

What is the part number of the airbag you have ? I always thought they were the same 97-01, and have installed 4-5 used airbag systems with no problems. The only difference I know of is that some early 97's without cruise control got a "TJ like" airbag as in the pic below.

standard.jpg

Hi Tim, I havnt pulled my airbag yet.. waiting for all the insurance to get settled before i go tooling around in there. Ive been browsing eBay looking at pictures of the back side of bags, not sure where the part numbers are located? it looks to me like the bar code on the center might be a serial number? If you look closely, it is engraved into the back of the airbag above the sticker.

This is pulled from a 97
s-l1600.jpg

From a 99
s-l1600.jpg

From another 99 (note the different number)
s-l1600.jpg

This is pulled from a 00
s-l1600.jpg

My guess is that they are interchangeable... My claim should be settled this week, ill pull the bag and bring it to the JY next time, though I've only found air bags that have been set off, i can still compare them.

Thanks for your reply

The part number seems to vary a bit from year to year, but I have never had a problem with the wrecks I have rebuilt. I have two good airbags and they both fit the same clock spring. The Part Number is in the lower right of the first picture and starts with P5.

1997 p/n is P5EA0 2LAZ.

FYI, if you popped an airbag, you will need a replacement clock spring and a replacement control module also.

Thanks Tim, that is my part number (took the 30 seconds to pull the bag this morning).

On some interchange listings I see 98-01 XJ and 97-01 TJ are the same. Then others I see the 97 TJ bag fits the 97 XJ (all w/cruise). I will pick up a later year bag if thats all I find in the yard, I think they will fit.

A couple more questions:

As far as the passenger bag, Do i need to get a new cover? or does the old one snap back down?

I have read that the clock spring is not absolutely necessary, in the case none of the wires are fried. Mine were all in good condition, though i suppose things could be different inside the clock spring. I might replace everything except the clock spring, and see if the airbag light is on or my cruise/horn fail to work. Is there any problem with that?

My steering wheel no longer seems to lock. Not a huge deal, but is it a symptom of something that may go wrong down the road?

I think the cover is a one-time use part. I always buy the passenger side cover and air bag as a set. Per the Factory Service Manual, the clock spring is replaced if the bags are deployed. The airbag light will remain on if any of the parts are faulty, or installed incorrectly.

I have never had the steering wheel not lock, but it is a mechanical set up.

Thanks Tim, I actually ordered the airbags on eBay for about the same price as pulling from the JY, but I didn't get the passenger cover.

I will go the route of not replacing the clock spring first, since it is only a couple bolts to take the airbag back out. Though I will replace it if it appears necessary.

Thanks for answering my questions, I will follow up after install.

Dylan

A little update:

Ordered all my parts off of eBay,. $70 for both bags and the control module. The bags went in great but the first control module appears to be from a TJ, it has a different mounting pattern and would not fit. 2nd control module was supposed to be from a 98 XJ but it turned out to be a 98 ZJ module, same mounting pattern but different orientation and connector for the wiring.

Thanks

For fun, I plugged the TJ control module in and turned the key on, THEN hooked up the battery. no explosion and airbag light is off. Looks like once I get the proper module it will be a success, thanks Tim for your help

Back