• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" Lift with New Springs lots of Questions

Bonebag

NAXJA Forum User
Ok..been a while since I've been here. I had a nice 94 XJ with a manual and since the motor blew in 07..I've been stricktly a Trooper Guy. Came across a really nice 01 with 118K on the clock for 2500 and had to buy her. The Rear leafs are toast..upside down so I need new springs. I have a new set of 30x9.5x15's waiting and want to bring her up enough to run those tires. She came with brand new bilsteins so I'd like to use the stock shocks. I will occasionally tow a light trailer (under 2K Lbs) and I will offroad her lightly...she will be a DD. Since I would like to retain the shocks I was thinking of these two options:

Dorman Springs with 1" shackles or 1-2" Adjustable Shackles in the rear and 2" spacers up front or:

OME CS033RB with one leaf removed, Bar Pin Eliminators to extend the shocks a it and 2" spacers up front.

The OME option is a bit more money but I'm worried about ending up with 3" of lift wich I do not want and the research I've done leads me to believe I could end up with unknown troubles with lift height on the OME more than the Dormans.
Thanks for any help..here she is now.
jeep%20no%20lift%20lowres_zps6imcfqwp.jpg

I ran 235/75/15's (marginally smaller) on a stock 91 with the original suspension and all I got was a little rub on my inner fender wall at full turn. With the right backspacing (I had the wrong wheels at the time) that will be a non issue. You can always put them on and see how much you need or if you just need to refresh to stock size. I see no reason to go over 2" with that size tire either way.

I have the OME 2.5" lift springs and love them, but I'd only recommend them, or any lift spring, with a shackle relocation bracket. There's the HD offroad no-lift relocation brackets, which would net you the right amount of lift with those springs. All springs sag both over time and under load, so I wouldn't expect to get any more than 2-2.5" out of those OME's.

For your purpose though, I'd probably just go with stock replacement springs and a small lift shackle. I use Rusty's 3/4" extended greaseable shackles. They work fine and are way beefier than stock.

I would put Dorman 929-301 springs on to restore factory height and forget about it for now. You will have enough fun just putting those springs on as you will surely need to cut at least one bolt or one spring off, if not cut a hole in the frame because a weld nut came off. As a new to you, used vehicle I would be more concerned about what might be hiding for problems before you put money into a lift. Unless you don't worry about money and plan to keep it regardless. 2000-2001 with the 0331 head are known to crack and can take out a motor if left unattended. For a cushy ride on the fire and logging roads, and even some rocks, I find the OME 2.5" entire lift package to be fantastic.

I have the OME CS033RB rear springs and I'm sitting at dead on 4" in the rear with a Rusty's 3/4" lift shackle. It's been a little over 6 months, no settling. I'm at 3" in the front so I'll level it out with a spacer. Bilstein 5100s

You'll more than likely have vibes; I did at 2" with my '00

I would use the Dorman springs to restore height and let it go. With 30s you'll have a bit of trimming on the edges of the front plastic (I did at 2" &stock wheels) but it's easy to trim it and done right you dont' notice it. To lift if you wish, shackles and spacers with bar pin elims for the nice shocks.

And cooling maintenance with the 0331 head is key. No issues in my entire 210k miles with getting even remotely warm. Stick with the maintenance though!

Back