• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 non tilt column into a 96?

wizard wheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if it is possible to swap an older 94 xj column with no air bag and no tilt into a 96 xj. Has anyone done this before and what are the difficulties? I have noticed the column mounting and steering linkage is the same but will the electrical components work? They have all the same functions with signals, wipers and such but I'm not sure if the connectors would be the same or what wiring would need to be done.

Is there something wrong with your current column?

There is nothing wrong with the current column but I really prefer the look of the narrower column outside the dash of the 94's. Does anyone really prefer that big box behind the wheel?

I appreciate the question. I have wondered the same thing about my own '96. I would prefer to ditch the airbag wheel, and I suspect that with a more narrow column it would be much easier to access those switches on the dash. As it is they are pretty well obscured.

FYI, you can swap the early model steering wheel, or aftermarket (with an adapter).
If you decide to run a Grant GT 3-bolt wheel the adapter for 94-down works just fine.
Caveat, if you remove the air bag wheel, you will need to notify your insurance company. Otherwise, if you get in a wreck they may not over your vehicle.

FYI, you can swap the early model steering wheel, or aftermarket (with an adapter).
If you decide to run a Grant GT 3-bolt wheel the adapter for 94-down works just fine.
Caveat, if you remove the air bag wheel, you will need to notify your insurance company. Otherwise, if you get in a wreck they may not over your vehicle.

Thank you, all good info.

And I've been working on the swap already. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Ok, so that won't work at all. The ignition switch, wiper switch and hi beams are all completely different. I had to take it apart to see that, so that kinda sucked, but at least I learned something. And that is that jeep changed a perfectly good, easy to work on setup for something that is hard to access, all with the same functions.

Could you post up some side by side pics of the differences? Or even email them to me and I will post them if that is an obstacle?

Are these difference in connectors? Or are we talking about differences in the number of wires and how everything functions?

IIRC the old column is gm based and uses their style switches and connectors, while the newer column is Chrysler based, similar to what you would find on that era of dodge ttrucks

Ok, so that won't work at all. The ignition switch, wiper switch and hi beams are all completely different. I had to take it apart to see that, so that kinda sucked, but at least I learned something. And that is that jeep changed a perfectly good, easy to work on setup for something that is hard to access, all with the same functions.

They didn't exactly have a choice. They had to add an airbag.

Could you post up some side by side pics of the differences? Or even email them to me and I will post them if that is an obstacle?

Are these difference in connectors? Or are we talking about differences in the number of wires and how everything functions?

Yeah, actually the wires and how everything functions is different.
I'll start off with the 94 column here.

About halfway down the column is the ignition switch and headlight high beam switch.

11rat5j.jpg

zx4rhe.jpg

Below is the connector from the wires coming from the key switch/tumbler whatever you want to call it, and the connector to the wiper delay module.

140kl21.jpg

Below is the 96 column still in the jeep because there was no reason to completely remove it after my findings. This shows the newer ignition switch that is usually covered by that "box" directly behind the wheel, and the connector from the key switch/tumbler which is below the big white square. Unfortunately and unexpectedly, these connectors have a different number of wires and different connectors although they do the same job.

2wbtdvk.jpg

Contained within the wiper switch on the 96 column is the high beam switch rather than on the 94 where the high beam switch is down on the column. The wires to the wiper delay module go from the switch, through the harness and come out at the connector to the module.

28leuf6.jpg

Surprisingly I found that the only similarity was the wiper delay module, which I did switch out because mine was not working on delay, just high or nothing.

Also I would like to add that with enough time and effort the wires all could be determined, to cut and splice them into '94 connectors so that everything could be plugged in and compatible, but that would just be too intensive for me.

So the main differances were the location and type of connectors, as all the functions were the same, making the swap only possible if the right connectors are found and spliced in.

Thank you for posting up the pics and details.

That looks like useful information.

Back