• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic to Manual Swap [M5OD]

LucasYost

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 auto XJ and I recently acquired a 1998 Ford Ranger [bad engine, sat for 5 years and now it is beyond repair] with a M5OD manual transmission. I've been wanting to swap a manual in for quite some time and now I have a full donor vehicle which I acquired for FREE. I have a few questions before considering this swap:

How compatible is the M5OD with the AMC 4.0L?
What would I need to buy in order to make them compatible?
How much is the difference in size and what issues will it cause?
What would be the cost of new parts I would potentially have to buy?
Do you recommend just trading the trans for something more compatible?
About how much time would this take?
What would be the most challenging aspect to this swap?

Any other opinions and suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks

I know nothing about the M5OD, but my bet is that this is your best course of action:

Do you recommend just trading the trans for something more compatible?
I don't see any mention of 2wd or 4wd. Does a transfer case need to be involved in this swap too? If yes, is the Ford a driver's side drop or easily converted to it?

If it were me I would try parting out the Ford and putting that money into a factory AX15 setup. Among other things, it will probably be easier to service in the long run.

Thanks for the response. I decided I will part out the Ranger after using some parts for other mods upgrades and try to find an AX15 and just swap that in for simplicity.

Back